Finally Added Edge Tuner

jherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i finally added my edge tuner to my completely stock 06 f350 at 120K.
Yesterday i took it out for a spin on the #2 setting which is 60 HP and 100FTLB torrque. From a dead stop it still takes off the same but after about 20' it really cranks it on (BLOWS SERIOUS BLACK SMOKE).
I did an EGT run to see what i could max that at and it hit 1500 degrees at 92MPH running wide open. That one kind of surprised me.Makes me wonder what the EGT would be if i went up two more settings to the performance mode.
The EOT and the ECT run about 10 to 15 degrees apart and on a 5 mile uphill 8% grade at 65MPH it got as far as 18 degrees apart but my local guy says if it gets 30 degrees split after everything has stabilized on a long pull then the coolant side of the oil cooler is plugged so i guess im okay for now.
Overall I have had a increase of about 1.5 MPG on the highway so that is good. Other than that i dont think i would really need this thing unless im pulling my RV which is why i bought it in the first place.:D

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could hit 1300 no prob with the edge and I didn't the hot unlock
you can tweak some parameters to change that smoke if it is the juice?

I pulled mine off a while ago .. I was to afraid to roast a tranny so Know I run more power but with the trans tuned thru my SCT

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
You wont run 1500 degrees very long or you will be buying a new engine! You need to get some exhaust if you run tunes. It will lower your egt's. I think your intake is good until 500 hp.

jherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah i know it will kill the motor at 1500* it was just a test for about 2 seconds maybe 3 and it happened at 92 MPH, i am guessing it will happen when i pull a hill with my toyhauler hooked up so i will have to be very careful, i have a 4" MBRP but the cat is still in because i cant pass my smog with out it. Anyway thanks for the thoughts, i really did not think the edge would let it do that, I thought it would protect itself but i guess i have to protect it with the info the gauge is giving me. Less fuel will be the only answer.

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I find i can get higher EGT's racing unloaded compared to towing up hill
I have my EGT alarm set at 1200

dmcvey_1999

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
To those that state edge guarantess a toasted transmission that is just not true. I have 115,000 miles on my truck with the tuner on the truck since 20,000 miles. I run level two when towing 10,000 lbs. and daily drive in level 3. If you know anybody that knows me, I do not baby my truck. Would I recommend running level 5 all the time? no. Do I want to go SCT custom tuned? yes, but can't justify it when my current tuner gets the job done. I have a buddy that bought the SCT livewire. He loves the power but can't stand the display. If I do eventually get an SCT it will be the XCAL and run and edge insight for gauges. By the way I have had the same tuner for five years.

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i didn't buy much into the tranny issue potential at first either ,, but people just kept mentioning it so i did a bunch of internet searches and even found some responses from edge themselves

that is why I chose to pull mine

jherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tuner update

Here is an update on the Tuner install. I have monitored my EOT and ECT and found that the fartherst apart they every get is 11*-15* i pulled Baker grade (12 miles 5% - 6% constant) with no load on and had the same result. My local shop says if you have 25*-30* difference then you have plugged coolant side of oil cooler, so i guess i am doing alright, I did do a coolant flush with the cummins product but that was before i had gauges to read so i dont know if it made a difference or not.
I am enjoying the fuel mileage increase, especially since i paid $4.43 a gallonn last weekend.

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
actually if you see a 15 degree split during nomal driving the cooler is an issue , even the newest ford flash wil set a code at that threshold ,, mine was at 15 plus and I pretty much made ford change mine out

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58