Finally Gauges.

Got Diesel

Engineering College Boy
Reaction score
That's right finally got my gauges. They look really good too. Thanks you all who answered questions or helped me out. My reading are as follows.

Pyro-Around town about 500. Wide open throttle maybe up to 950-1000. Slowly gets there. Running down the highway 700 or so.

Trans Temp, barely gets above 150. Slowly gets up to this.

Boost, barely hits 20psi, wide open throttle, takes awhile to get there. By the time that it does I am running 80mph. Cruising down the highway 3-4psi, maybe one or two more. Anyway to increase boost, or build it faster? I thinking maybe unhooking the wastegate. I am also getting a 4 pos chip for it, and getting rid of the Evo. That should help some. Thanks again guys.

Got Diesel

Engineering College Boy
Reaction score
Thanks. I think my boost is low, it should be higher than that with the Evo set on level 3. I know that my up-pipes have leaked some because there is soot around them. Boost also takes awhile to build. Prolly around 15 seconds maybe not quite that long. There is also and has been a hissing sound, thought it was the compressor wheel of the early 99'. Let's just say that my truck sound completely different than dads late 99'. I have no numbers towing yet. The most I really tow is our 21' ranger. Thanks for the replies. What would unhooking the wastegate do for me?

dpantazis

Reaction score
GD: if you have a hissing, then its propably one of your intakes leaking.
you took off your y-pipe right? i made the same mistake too i think.

i made the mistake of not seating the low pressure side (ds) at the y pipe, i blew it off on its shakedown run. not so funny in the dark late on a sunday night, but good for roadside laughs.

best advise is to pull the boots and pipes, clean them WELL and carefully reseat them. roosterdiesel sugessted using hairspray to lube the boots up and 'stick' them slightly to the tubes.

if you search around, 'boudro had a pic of an adaptor he made with 4"-2" pvc reducer and pipe fittings to pressurize intake with shop air and to isolate boost / intercooler piping.

dennis

Got Diesel

Engineering College Boy
Reaction score
Ok have been doing some toying around, remember I am at school and don't have all the stuff I need, but I tightened all my intercooler boots up. I then hit 21-22 while climbing a grade at wot or as close to it as I ever get. I actually think that I am ok, I think the slower climb in boost may be to the stock downpipe. I know that a 4" pipe would allow it to flow better.

I did not take the intake off, I tapped my boost line in to my map line.
When I had the tranny out, I saw that there was soot on my up-pipes, I ran my hand around the up-pipes today and there was no soot on any of my fingers. There is also no soot on the firewall. What do you all think. I think i am maybe doing ok afterall. Thanks

dpantazis

Reaction score
i hope someone smarter than me jumps in here- the upper boots have a ridge on them and the pipe has a notch. the two should mate- keeps the boot locked on longitudinaly. i am pretty sure that the IC boots have it too.

its a PITA to get in there w/o pulling the batteries. you could do it w/o pulling them but i don't think you will save much time.

maybe back down on the edge to reduce boost till you get it figured out.

dp

Got Diesel

Engineering College Boy
Reaction score
I have tightened the boots. And I think that it is doing better. When I get home I will remove boots and pipes and clean all in the parts washer. I think my boost it ok, gonna get the chip, and really see what the truck will do.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58