Finally Replaced Parking Brake Cable

SeventyMach1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it broke on me Saturday and I needed to get my truck inspected. What a PITA this was. When I FINALLY figured out how the PCM came out ... then the tough part started.

For those with manual transmissions ... I especially hope you never have to do this. I was tempted to remove the clutch pedal assembly. If anyone ever has to do this and this thread comes up with your search ... ask any questions you have.

FWIW, the new Ford piece was a bit more sturdy. Has a slightly larger diameter and seems stiffer, but maybe that's because it's new, lol.

pdt1081

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My cable is still good. The pedal just won't hold. It pushes down then pops right back up. How hard is the assembly to change?

SeventyMach1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It shouldn't be too bad, but you will have to mess with the hood latch part as well if you are going to replace the entire assembly, because the hood latch is integrated with the same bracket. Not totally sure how the hood latch part removes. I am glad I didn't have to do that.

But like I said, since you have a manual tranny ... it can be a pain to work around the clutch pedal assembly.

As far as the parking brake pedal assembly, there are 3 nuts that you have to remove. One near the hood latch, one on bottom on same side, then one on the bottom up near the firewall. You will have to remove the PCM in order to remove the last nut. 10mm bolt under the hood for PCM connector. There is one nut in the bottom of the PCM bracket, and a bolt up high as well ... on the fender area ... adjacent to the door. Once bracket is loose, PCM slides out and you can remove bracket.

At the top of the pedal assembly: You will see the end of the cable that wraps around the pulley looking guide. Pull slack into the cable (simulating the brake being applied) and clamp it with vise grips. You can do this in the cab where it feeds through the floor ... or under the truck after the location where the cable passes through the bracket. Then slide the pin out that holds the cable onto the pulley. The cable is free now and you can unclamp it.

Bottom of assembly: There is a small plastic ring that goes around the parking brake cable connector (where it feeds through the hole in the bottom of the parking brake pedal assembly). You MAY need to CAREFULLY remove it if the cable will not slide out of the hole. I just ripped mine out with pliers because I was replacing the cable. If worse comes to worst, a new cable is around $23 at Ford. BTW, the grommet in the floor does not slide through the floor. You pull the cable out from the pedal assembly, but not through the floor.

I know this all sounds very confusing, but it's not. You'll see what I am trying to say once you get down there. Hit me up if you have any problems.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg