Finally replaced the glow plugs...almost

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a no start issue when below freezing and ohm tested the GP's from the VC harness and they came up dead, I thought it might be the harness. Yank everything out and continuity test the harness and it's good. Yank out the GP's on the driver bank an every one is bad. While I was in I installed new injector o-rings and put her all back together. This morning it was 18 degrees and she started with one cycle of the key :D. Now I just need to do the passenger side...gulp. Not looking forward to taking that valve cover off.
Jesse

CHPMustang

Reaction score
The passenger side valve cover is alot easier to R&R than the drivers side any day! I have new harnesses and glow plugs sitting on the shelf I'll get around to installing one of these days :innocent

Good luck with it Jesse :sweet

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I changed the rest of them out and behold...all glow plugs on this truck were not working at all. I thought I was testing them wrong until I tested them on the new plugs and I got a reading. Found out my number one injector has been replaced. I also noticed that there was paint/marking compound on the tops of the pushrods and rockers...not sure if it's from the factory, anyone else seen this from the factory? Trying to do some backdoor guessing as to what has been done to this thing be previous owners.
Oh yeah, and she runs much better now with all the o-rings replaced. Much smoother on the interstate and better throttle response.
Also, how do I check HPOP drainback? I've noticed more recently (before I did the o-rings) that it has taken a few more cranks to fire...even when warm. 1.2 seconds exactly, had the starter checked and it gave me a printout. Any way to check this?
Jesse

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It just seems to take too long compared to other 7.3's out there. I've also noticed that it seems to lose power and make noise up higher in the rpm's...also could be a problem in the HPO department so I'd like to try some diagnostics to hopefully prove me wrong. I've read somewhere (but I can't find it) that there's a port I can stick my finger in to see if it has oil in it or if it's drained down. Any truth? Any diagnostics I can try?
Jesse
Plus if I tell the ol' lady the HPOP went out...she doesn't need to know that it's a highperformance one that's going back in it;)

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It actually seems like it takes longer to start if I shut it down to run in the store and come back in a few minutes then if I leave it shut down for a couple hours...
Jesse

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14