Finally shot my Walker 44 black powder

johnrrogers

Old Racer
Reaction score
The South Bay Rod and Gun range reopened this week in the Delzura area after the bad fire storms we had and I finally got to shot several cylinders of balls. I was surprised the recoil was not too bad and the smoke and noise was about what the folks at the gun shop in Lancaster CA told me it would be. It was a blast to say the least and even this morning my wife says I still smell like sulfur! Can't wait to do it again!!!

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Walkers took HUGE powder charges for the era..
I'm suprised you're not snot-rocketing powder residue...

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
he is wearing a t-shirt....i was in double long johns today.

you will smell like sulfer for a week, and JL...he MUST be picking black boogers!!!

what did it sound like? i dont play with hand guns, but i know if you show up at the range with a black powder rifle you turn some heads with the first few shots. are the hand guns loud and throaty, or do they sound similar to a smokeless?

johnrrogers

Old Racer
Reaction score
Long johns, what are those??!! At the range the temp was about mid 70s, typical for the San Diego area this time of year. The smell has finally gone away after a couple of days and my nose took a day or so to clear out!! The pistols make a loud boooom sort of sound where as the 357 my daughter was shooting make a sharp crack sort of sound and of course no smoke.

Reaction score
I know when i show up at the range with my 50 caliber winchester i get alot of looks. Especially when i shoot 150 grain. They do have a no sulfur powder its called triple 7 or 777. Can pick it up at most sportsmans warehouses.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
what good is a smokepole that doesn't smoke?

pour some FFFG in that bad biotch and light 'er off...

Reaction score
One other thing about shootin my winchester at the range is the look on the guys faces when i collect my target and can stick my finger through the holes :roflmao

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg