Finally Trailered With the Roadmaster Active Suspension

Matt M PA

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I installed a Roadmaster Active Suspension kit on my '05 XLT over the winter. Since then, I have had only "empty" towing of my 22' enclosed Haulmark. Seemed to make a difference, but I was only local.

With no trailer, the ride is improved, handling is improved, and wander is significantly reduced as well.

I was on the highway a good bit on Sunday, and I can say the difference was considerable. At about 7000 pounds loaded, I still took two links (as opposed to 3) with the WD bars, but want to experiment on maybe using one or not using the WD at all. The trailer was sitting slightly nose high, the Ex, level or just about.

I did not hook up my sway control, and would still use it on long highway stretches...but again, a nice improvement.

Installation took about 90 minutes, and completely bolts on. Plus, the company offers a money back guarantee.

I'd recommend this without hesistation. And no...I have no connection to the company.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Heya Matt,I don't suppose you could snap up some photos of the kit installed as it's had my interest for awhile but never knew any Excursion brothren with it installed till now:sweet

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I had never even heard of Roadmaster Active Suspension but I checked out there web site and it sounds like a good system. If I recall from when we had our X there is not much room around the springs. How was the install in the tight quarters? This might just be what I need for our F150, it sags a little in the rear-end when the trailer is hooked up.

These Roadmaster Active Suspension systems are like helper springs, sway bars, and traction bars all in one package.
Sounds like the ticket :sweet

Matt M PA

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay guys....I can indeed snap a picture over the weekend. (I drove the Cobra today.) Actually, it's very hard to see since the Ex's have that "wheelhouse" in the back that hides the spring partially.

In the meantime, I can relay some info on the install. The kit has a coil spring, a plate and a hook. (You can see this on their site.)

The plate goes between your leaf spring and the leaf spring plate. You have to loosen the U bolt nuts and it slides in. On the other end, the hook goes around the rear portion of the leaf spring. Tension holds it in place. Adjustment is made with a nut and jamnut.

The coil spring is slightly extended when adjusted properly, and extends further in use. This coil runs parallel with the leaf spring on top of the leaf spring. If you kneel down and look above the leaf, you can just see a part of it.

I took some Ford techs, one of which owns an Ex for a ride. We went around a corner and one asked the other...could your Excursion make a turn like that? The other replied...not in this lane.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Hows the rear wheel "bounce" with the new kit installed compared to without it?

Matt M PA

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Sorry guys...have been crazy busy.

I took a couple pics, but it's hard to tell what they are. I'll get 'em into my photo bucket account ASAP.

CHP...not exactly sure waht rear wheel bounce is...but the ride improved a good deal. In fact, a friend was following me home me night after my band played. I had myself, G/F, her son, bassist and bassist's wife in the Ex. My friend was driving his Mustang GT. He leaves the traction control off.

It was raining, and I was driving as usual. He said that he could not sty with me without spinning wheels and sliding on the ramps!

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
WOW
i just watched the video on the ford van.
amazing, seeing as we rode around in them overloaded in the military for years and years,

wonder how well it works with the new stability roll system now in offered in the vans.

Matt M PA

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Okay guys..here are some pics. Had to shoot of the RAS due to the wheel house being in the way.

Drivers side...

ExSpring2.jpg

Passenger side...

ExSpring1.jpg

DieselSindicate

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have just installed my RAS for my trip to Boston next week. I have a 32 ft box and I pulled it around empty the other day and boy what a different the RAS makes. I should have some feedback when I return.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58