Fire Hazzard

HowieE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had asked a question the other day as to why my 04 Excursion was eating up alternators so fast.

In the box of the latest alternator was a copy of a TT#663 that speaks to the fact that 2003 6.0 diesels all the way to the F550 had a problem of LOOSE engine ground straps and the result of failed alternators and potential fires from over heated radio ground straps.

Looks like my 2004 may be a victim of this problem after the 4th alternator in 1 1/2 years.

My question now is where is the radio ground strap?

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The radio is grounded through the harness and not a strap. It is not mechanically fastened to ground by screws. I would check the battery ground (-) cables. Make sure they are grounded tightly to the frame or engine block. There are ground straps all over the truck, like the hood to body and the body to frame. Spend some time under your truck with a light and look for these straps and make sure they are tight.

Dave

caissiel

Laurent
Reaction score
A good wiring Diagram will surely indicate all the ground strapes. I had to buy mine and its been a blessing for the time I have owned it. Its PDF format and I have it on all my PC's
I bought it from:
Data Research by automotive Hobbyists

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14