First camping trip with a 5ther

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I had fun last weekend. Got the camper ready and was going up to Suwannee river state park. Well I got within 9 miles of the park when the brakes on the trailer locked up. I could not get them to unlock, yes I killed the power from the truck and the camper and they were still locked up. I was able to just get it off the road. I called a friend and he and two others came down and helped take the wheels off gut out the brakes and on the road I went. Slept in a wal-mart parking lot that night and went to the park the next day, other then that it was a good trip. I got 14.6 mpg coming home :sweet Did get new brakes on the trailer and flipped the axles so the camper sits level going down the road.

Last edited:

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
.....Well I got within 9 miles of the park when the brakes on the trailer locked up....

Have you checked your emergency trailer break-away cable? It's that thing with the little cable that you're supposed to attach one end to your truck. The other end goes to a plastic plunger that goes into the switch assembly. If the trailer ever comes loose from the truck, the cable pulls the plunger from the switch which applies the trailer's brakes. Hopefully, then the trailer will come to a stop before someone or something gets hurt.

From what you've described, that's what it sounds like to me. One brake locking up might happen rarely. But all at once, not likely. Something was applying power to the brakes to cause them to lock-up. If the breaks were still locked when you unplugged your trailer electrical plug from the truck, then the breakaway switch is where you need to start looking.

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you checked your emergency trailer break-away cable? It's that thing with the little cable that you're supposed to attach one end to your truck. The other end goes to a plastic plunger that goes into the switch assembly. If the trailer ever comes loose from the truck, the cable pulls the plunger from the switch which applies the trailer's brakes. Hopefully, then the trailer will come to a stop before someone or something gets hurt.

From what you've described, that's what it sounds like to me. One brake locking up might happen rarely. But all at once, not likely. Something was applying power to the brakes to cause them to lock-up. If the breaks were still locked when you unplugged your trailer electrical plug from the truck, then the breakaway switch is where you need to start looking.

X2 Absolutly.

You may have Tripped it during a tight turn, if it hung-up on something in the bed ???

silverF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Saw a guy trying to back out of a campsite and this happened. It was kind of funny since he is an rv transporter.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think Tail Gunner & Big Joe are on to something. Let us know what you find out.
If you unplug from the truck the trailer battery would keep them locked tell the battery went dead.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
X4.5
sounds like the emergency switch is flubbbed up
is the plastic plug still installed? or did it fall out.

intersted in what you found

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X4.5
sounds like the emergency switch is flubbbed up
is the plastic plug still installed? or did it fall out.

intersted in what you found

I call that plug/pin a "Goll'y Pin" guyz. Like: GOLL'Y, I hope that pin don't come out while I'm move'n down the road ;):)

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
I call that plug/pin a "Goll'y Pin" guyz. Like: GOLL'Y, I hope that pin don't come out while I'm move'n down the road ;):)

Oh, that's the thing connected to that irritating cable you tie in a knot around the trailer tongue? :innocent

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Oh, that's the thing connected to that irritating cable you tie in a knot around the trailer tongue? :innocent

You mean the cable tied around the trailer tongue just like the one on that trailer that's passing you? The trailer happens to look just like your camper, right down to the license plate?? :lmao:lmao

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yah.. that one. The one that no matter which one you hook up first.. the pig tail or that one.... it's wrapped around or lashed up with it's self, or the pigtail..... Yah, that one. :lmao:lmao

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14