Question First diesel pulling engine to change oil pan, what else can I attend to while doin

Emerson80

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Here's the situation: We bought a 1996 F-350 7.3L 4x4with the full back seat There is a second battery. There is a 25 amp fuse for the radio. It calls for 15 amp. The dimmer is kinda flaky. The tranny is an old Jasper and the turbo is not stock but sounds better than okay but not optimal. The engine has 390k miles. The last 40k was a guy that let his kid drive it without maintaining it. I perhaps have the opportunity to pull the engine and work on it. There is seepage around the oil pan gasket. I would like to take care of that. I have saved up a little bit so that I could buy parts. I have started learning about diesel and have changed the oil; it was pretty dark but not crusty or anything. The transmission fluid was dark but it sounds good. It lagged a little when it hadn't warmed up but that seems like standard operating procedure for this machine. I have shifted into 4 wheel high but come to think of it, haven't shifted into 4 Low. I have never owned or driven a diesel long term. I am an adequate enough mechanic with a chevy 350. I grew up around them. I am not a mechanic but have worked on some fine pieces of equipment and some pieces of junk that ran well with extra maintenance. I plan on driving this thing across the country and really want to fix 'that one thing' that might go out while i have my family furniture in the trailer. It looks to me like an old farmer had the truck for the first 350k then this kid ended up with it. His dad maintained it in that he got it ready for the kid. They did put some other parts on there. I suspect the kid bought the radio. So I guess what I a asking is if I can spend a little on parts, what components would i change or add? I plan on replacing all gaskets and o-rings. Everything looks pretty straight-forward. I'm trying to wrap my head around this like a familiar tractor. I have a pretty good manual for the diesel engine. I could not find which haynes book applied but i bought one pretty close. You-tube has some videos. I refer to those alot. Go easy on me, this is a first post and first diesel. i bought this truck because no engine gets to 350k by being poorly maintained and i'm making the gamble that the kid didn't rag on this truck too much so that I have a decent infrastructure for a long time to come.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WELCOME ABOARD !!!

As you tackle each of these things you want to do.. just post up any questions you might have.. there is a TON of knowledge here on SDD.. we are ALL willing to share our knowledge and experience.

Through the years here on SDD, there have been MANY, MANY.. "New To a Diesel" guys & gals.. many of Them... are now the ones who will help answer your questions.

Ask Away........ There are NO dumb question here.

Joe

Emerson80

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I appreciate it. I read some time ago about 20mpg for this model. I would like to get it there. What parts should I get for that? Well let's see, I have replaced the tranny pan gasket and filter, i have topped off other liquids in obvious areas. There is either a grease nipple or a hose fitting on the top front of front differential. Is this a grease fitting or a hose fitting? I'm planning on taking a look at it in the morning. Also further back on that front differential, there is a hose that looks like it goes to a fitting on a line that runs down the frame. There is alot of gunk but I dont know what the function is.

Emerson80

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Another question would be: should I be ordering these parts online or is getting them at the local advance decent?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another question would be: should I be ordering these parts online or is getting them at the local advance decent?

Many of our SDD site sponsors Have competitive pricing for parts and pieces. Beware of the [re-manufactured] stuff at some of the Chain parts places.

Your call.. but IMO.. it's best to tackle One thing/issue at a time ?

Joe

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You have a lot of miles on the truck. Maybe a total rebuild would be the best thing. You will need to check/have checked the compression to see how the pistons and rings are. A gasoline compression gauge will NOT work as there is no spark plug hole and the compression ratio is much higher. After that you will need to check the heads and valves. And finally the fuel system. Have a good time.

Dave :)

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
Speaking of a once was diesel noob answering you,here i am.

The nipple on the front axle is a breather.there should be a piece of hose on that goes up and clips to the frame somewhere so you can drive through deep puddles and mud without water getting into the differential.

Motor has to come out for the oil pan.the pan does nt have a gasket.it is sealed with high torque grey rtv from the factory.make sure you get the rtv from a ford or international dealer.follow the directions exactly.while the pan is off replace the oring or rtv the dipstick tube adapter.

Before pulling your motor,make sure the dipstick adapter isnt loose causing the leak.its in the passengers side of the pan,cant miss it.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58