Question First Long Haul

waynebudke

Chris
Reaction score
Took my 02 F250 7.3PSD for a trip from north Florida down To Ocala National Forest. Here is what happened. First issue was I am getting an intermittent Check Engine light. Only comes on under hard acceleration. Second issue is my fuel mileage sucked ass. Maybe between 9 and 11 miles to the gallon, Actually I was expecting better. This truck has 124000 miles on it and I am looking for some answers on what could be wrong with it.Was expecting a little better mileage pulling a 29 foot toy hauler that weighs in at 7300 lbs. I have installed a 6 position chip but am waiting until my gage pack arrives before I go over the 50 hp setting. Also my overdrive light on the shifter after about 30 or so miles with overdrive of it would start flashing. anyone have that issue, or is that just a reminder that you have it off. Looking forward to your answers. Oh and one last thing. at 124K does anyone think I should looking at a turbo swap. I am thinking mine is down on boost. :rant

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took my 02 F250 7.3PSD for a trip from north Florida down To Ocala National Forest. Here is what happened. First issue was I am getting an intermittent Check Engine light. Only comes on under hard acceleration.

* Probably an Over Boost, detected by the PCM. As long as it went Off, yer okay.

Second issue is my fuel mileage sucked ass. Maybe between 9 and 11 miles to the gallon, Actually I was expecting better. This truck has 124000 miles on it and I am looking for some answers on what could be wrong with it.Was expecting a little better mileage pulling a 29 foot toy hauler that weighs in at 7300 lbs.

*Actually, 9-11 is about right for MPG's towing. (What rear-end gears do you have ?)

I have installed a 6 position chip but am waiting until my gage pack arrives before I go over the 50 hp setting.

VERY GOOD decision. Gauges are a MUST, with a Chip.

Also my overdrive light on the shifter after about 30 or so miles with overdrive of it would start flashing. anyone have that issue, or is that just a reminder that you have it off.

*I'll leave that one to the Auto trans guys.

Looking forward to your answers. Oh and one last thing. at 124K does anyone think I should looking at a turbo swap. I am thinking mine is down on boost. :rant

Your Boost Gauge will/is going to tell the tale on turbo condition... 7.3 Turbo's are known to last the life of the engine.. under normal use.

Last edited:

waynebudke

Chris
Reaction score
Thanks Joe

If I would have realized that the mileage was going to be that low I may have kept my Hemi Ram. I assumed ( wrongly I guess) that my mileage with the diesel would be better. I am getting about 15-16 empty and about 10 loaded or worse. I was expecting better. My ram got 9-11 pulling the same trailer and 18 empty. Maybe I should have researched longer unless you guys can point me to some fuel saving upgrades.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I would have realized that the mileage was going to be that low I may have kept my Hemi Ram. I assumed ( wrongly I guess) that my mileage with the diesel would be better. I am getting about 15-16 empty and about 10 loaded or worse. I was expecting better. My ram got 9-11 pulling the same trailer and 18 empty. Maybe I should have researched longer unless you guys can point me to some fuel saving upgrades.

Alot of it is your Right Foot ;). Ya gota learn to "Operate" a Diesel.. not jus' "Drive" it :sly:D:lmao

Any other Mod's ? other than the Chip ? Ya gota open these things up.. and let them Breath.

Joe

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
I would still take the diesel over the ram cause that motor will outlast that ram 10 times over. I agree with Joe, open her up! If you havnt already, DIY intake and 4" turbo back exhaust with no muffler and cat IF yer state lets ya. Slow acceleration is key. I like to keep mine under 2k rpm when taking off. Dont punch it, you'll watch dollar signs go out yer tail pipe. Also if yer gettin the check engine light does it go off after a few min? Is it a check engine light or Service engine soon light? I will get the SES light if I over boost since I got my wastegate actuator disconnected. The SES light will go off after a few min of normal driving.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I pulled a work trailer for about 7 years that was about 7500 lbs and about 12' tall. I'd get about 11.5 mpg on summer fuel, about 9.5-10 on winter fuel.

Once you get to highway speed, wind resistance (tall trailers) is more your enemy than trailer weight. I put a Nosecone fairing on the otherwise flat front of my work trailer and gained about 1 mpg.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always drive with O/D on, towing or not. Fords are made to drive in O/D.
Doug

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also my overdrive light on the shifter after about 30 or so miles with overdrive of it would start flashing.

this is the biggest red flag in what you said. most often the O/D light flashes when the transmission detects slippage. It takes a good bit of slippage before it triggers the light.

low on boost can be a number of things but get a boost gauge on there to be sure what is going on under the hood.

How'd you go down to Ocala from JAX? mileage on the secondary roads is usually a bit better due to the slower speeds unless the route you choose had quite a few starts & stops. What speed were you driving? and how windy was it the day you were driving?

We've had quite a few rather windy days lately and if you were bucking a headwind it'll chew your mileage quickly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58