Question First Oil and Fuel Filter Change

starduster

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Is there anything inpaticular that I should know before I attemp to change the fuel or oil filters on an 05' 6.0 Powerstroke (F-250) ?Do I need to bleed the air out of fuel lines ?Is there a procedure for this maintenance or common sense or both?Any tips would be very helpfull in order to produce a engine start condition the first time.Thanks again for any helpfull advice.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The fuel filter on the drivers frame is messy to get out. After you get it changes, cycle the key a few times to get the fuel flowing. You can hear it hum and quit after a few seconds. I have never had a no start condition when changing theses filters.

Dave

groundhawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is how I usually do my oil/fuel filter change. After warming the engine some,
1)Drain oil and remove oil filter
2)Install new filter and close pan drain
3)Start draining fuel from the HFCM drain
4)Fill engine with oil
5)Pull the engine mounted fuel filter
6)Pull the HFCM filter and replace filter and plug
7)Replace engine mount fuel filter
8)Double check engine oil level
9)Cycle electric fuel pump three times
10)Start engine, check for leaks...blah blah...and record in my maint. notebook.

I do like to use a little oil on the new o-rings before putting the caps back on. And be carefull with the caps too, don't get to torque-happy or they may break.

As I mentioned before, I like to cycle the fuel pump three times. I don't know that there is a certian number or not, but that is my sop with it anyway. I let the electric pump go untill it shuts off, then kill the key and repeat. Same as Dave, I have never had a problem with it not firing afterward.

A few things you may want to look into for next time: The replacement International plug for the HFCM and the Fumoto valve... Both have been well discussed here and are both VERY nifty additions that will save you some time and frustrations.

Do as you like with the filters, but I do get mine from the local IH shop. They are the OEM recommended part, plus they are cheaper for me with a buddy discount...lol.

Finally, with the oil filter, be carefull when removing the old filter from the housing. There is a small plastic button that is fairly easy to break off at the top of the stand pipe. And here is why I know.
http://www.superdutydiesel.com/foru...0666-oil-tube-repair-6-0l-filter-housing.html

Over all, it is not bad to do, a little messy and takes some time, but not bad.

Last edited:

starduster

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that bit of info.I will take all that into consideration.I am concerned though about using other than Motorcraft filters due to the specs and quality of others meaning like Diameters and overall lenght.Thanks again for your info,I will let you all know how it goes.

groundhawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The International filters ARE proper oem parts...it is an International motor after all...not to mention they are usually cheaper than buying them from Ford. The only difference is the box and the price.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58