First oil change observations

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
1)The oil filter cap is SPRING LOADED, I was not aware of this until it was too late -mad

2)When 10w-30 is HOT it runs out of the drain very nicely and will overrun your catch pan making a mess. -mad -mad

3)The canister type oil filter is much cleaner to change than the old style spin on's and cost roughly 2 times as much.......what we will pay for cleanliness :thumbs

4)The dip stick is a PITA to get out, my arms just aren't long enough, and it's flimsy as hell and doesn't want to go back in without some guidance all the way down. Come on Ford something a little thicker than piano wire would be nice. :dunno

5)Filling it back up was a no brainer, mine took 13 qts to bring it to the min mark on the stupid stick. Ran it at high idle for 5 minutes and let it sit whilst I cleaned up the mess (see #2) and re-checked.

Other than that I love this truck!!

Oh yeah one more thing.......you might be a redneck if you light up a smoke while laying under your truck watching the oil drain :roflmao :roflmao

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
jharvey said:
1)The oil filter cap is SPRING LOADED, I was not aware of this until it was too late -mad

2)When 10w-30 is HOT it runs out of the drain very nicely and will overrun your catch pan making a mess. -mad -mad

3)The canister type oil filter is much cleaner to change than the old style spin on's and cost roughly 2 times as much.......what we will pay for cleanliness :thumbs
:roflmao :roflmao

You made a mess? How is that possible? You need a fumoto valve to makes things real clean. www.fumotovalve.com will get you there.

Dave :sweet

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Dave, I put on my Fumoto with this first oil change, now no more hot oil running down my arm into the nether reaches of pitdom scorching folicles all the way.

I didn't make too big a mess but HOT oil tends to splash a little more than warm oil and it came out of the oil pan so fast my 15qt pan almost couldn't keep up, but now that I have the fumoto in I can and will re-use the oil jugs from the previous change for no fuss or mess :thumbs :thumbs

John

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
Wait till you install an oilguard its is very easy to make big mess fast
and isnt that dipstick fun, I miss my 7.3 one, thick and controllable. I have flung oil on and at me often checking oil level. some engineer had quite a laugh with that design :D
and on the side notes. I like the way you hid the cb radio
I was looking at a place to put one out of sight.

jharvey said:

4)The dip stick is a PITA to get out, my arms just aren't long enough, and it's flimsy as hell and doesn't want to go back in without some guidance all the way down. Come on Ford something a little thicker than piano wire would be nice. :dunno

5)Filling it back up was a no brainer, mine took 13 qts to bring it to the min mark on the stupid stick. Ran it at high idle for 5 minutes and let it sit whilst I cleaned up the mess (see #2) and re-checked.

Other than that I love this truck!!

Oh yeah one more thing.......you might be a redneck if you light up a smoke while laying under your truck watching the oil drain :roflmao :roflmao

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58