First oil change?

Sawboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. First new vehicle here. Is it necessary to change the oil after the first 500 miles?

I know to do this when an engine is rebuilt, but do I need to do it with my new truck? 2007 / F350 / 6.0

Thanks,

Bob

Fine69

Reaction score
First, Congrats on the new truck, and welcome to SDD! You don't NEED to change your oil at 500 miles, but it is YOUR truck. I changed mine at 1000 miles, then again at 3000 miles. I continue to change at 3000 miles, but I tow a lot!

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When my truck was new I also changed mine after the first 1000 miles and have changed it every 3000 miles since. I also tow a fair amount and if I'm not towing I am probably drivin' her hard. The way I look at it is Oil is cheap engines aren't.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
change the 1st oil EARLY (1000 mi)...then go for anywhere from 3-7k
miles...test it w/ blackstonelabs, theyll tell you if the oil can go longer
or if youve got engine problems.

I run mine 5000 miles w/out any major issues (as proven by testing)...
even towing ive not seen a need to change earlier than 5k

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
hey welcome aboard
if you got a new truck, 1k is a bit excessive, let it run to 3k then change it and then go with the 7500 and learn to love it.
the 6.0 has a history of shearing the oil but 1k is to early, ford packed it with normal ol motorcraft oil..... its ok to go the distance :D :D

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
i believe i did the same thing - upon dealers recommendation. but hey it was 4 years ago. i cant remember what i did 5 minutes ago. i change at 5k intervals.

Elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All thes replies and nobody brought up the Fumoto valve. Get a Fumoto BEFORE you do the first change. I didn't get around to ordering mine until the second one and I wound up fishing the plug out of a 5 gallon bucket of oil. :rolleyes:

Sawboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Elk, I was just about to aks WTF is a fumoto valve, and then DaveBen saved the day! This site already rocks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14