First post Fuel leak

bshaw52

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a fuel leak coming from the front of my secondary fuel filter. It's not a loose filter cap, it's leaking from what looks to be a cover plate with two torque screws holding it on. I've tightened both screws, as much as I dare, and it seems to have gotten worse.
Also, engine intermittently runs like crap seems like its not firing on all cylinders, starts bucking when cruising around 60 and mileage has dropped to around 9 mpg.

I only have 61,000 miles it's not been abused the EGR cooler was replaced around 30,000 miles.

The truck was in the shop two months ago for the rough running, they replaced the EGR valve which took care of the problem for a day.
I found a thread here that pretty much described my problem and attributed it to the injector control pressure switch, which I have replaced and it seemed to fix the problem.

However I have been noticing a fuel smell since it was in the shop, and last week noticed the leak on the secondary filter body, today I find fuel all over a frame cross member under the engine. I don't know if it's a gasket leaking or the fuel bowl is cracked or if this is what is making the engine run so poorly?
Anyone have any ideas or a similar problem?

Sorry about the long and rambling post I'm just trying to give you as much info as I can.
Truck is a 2005 F250 4X4 auto trans, stock except for a 4" cat back exhaust & AEM intake.

Thanks
bshaw

Last edited:

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello bshaw and welcome to SSD.com. I will let Dave or Joe or some of the others
take a stab at this, we have lots of good people here that know all about this stuff.
Doug

bshaw52

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
update on fuel leak

Looking in the 6.0 bible what seems to be leaking is the fuel regulator cover, tightening up the four torque screws doesn't seem to help the leak and now I'm blowing white smoke at low speed. I'm thinking the smoke is air in fuel from the leak, does this make sense to anyone? I going to try and remove the cover and maybe use some RTV to try and seal it. Any advice? Comments?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
:welcome bshaw52. White smoke is usually water, blue is oil and black is fuel smoke. You are messing with the fuel system and it looks like you should be looking else where, like the coolant system. Are you loosing any coolant? The not running on all cylinders is an indication of water in the cylinders. Sounds like head gaskets. You can get the radiator "sniffed" for combustion gasses to confirm, or not, this. Good Luck and remember there is always a reason behind what you were told, as to why the truck was sold.

Dave :)

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What Dave just said..

I'm not a 6.0 guy, but a Leak is a Leak. To eliminate the leak you are seeing.. I'd remove that cover. Replace whatever O rings, gaskets or seals involved, and go from there.

One step at a time ? Fix that leak.. then get back to us if issues are still present .

Joe

bshaw52

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Sorry, it's blue white smoke, according to the 6.0L bible that's indicative of air in fuel, no not loosing any coolant or oil. No oil in over flow coolant bottle, no water in oil. Truck was running fine after replacing ICP. Truck was sold to me because it was new on dealers lot in July /05. Think I'll go to the Ford dealer and pick up their blue spring upgrade kit for the fuel regulator and see what that does.

Thanks
bshaw

2 Stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a fuel leak coming from the front of my secondary fuel filter. It's not a loose filter cap, it's leaking from what looks to be a cover plate with two torque screws holding it on. I've tightened both screws, as much as I dare, and it seems to have gotten worse.
Also, engine intermittently runs like crap seems like its not firing on all cylinders, starts bucking when cruising around 60 and mileage has dropped to around 9 mpg.

I only have 61,000 miles it's not been abused the EGR cooler was replaced around 30,000 miles.

The truck was in the shop two months ago for the rough running, they replaced the EGR valve which took care of the problem for a day.
I found a thread here that pretty much described my problem and attributed it to the injector control pressure switch, which I have replaced and it seemed to fix the problem.

However I have been noticing a fuel smell since it was in the shop, and last week noticed the leak on the secondary filter body, today I find fuel all over a frame cross member under the engine. I don't know if it's a gasket leaking or the fuel bowl is cracked or if this is what is making the engine run so poorly?
Anyone have any ideas or a similar problem?

Sorry about the long and rambling post I'm just trying to give you as much info as I can.
Truck is a 2005 F250 4X4 auto trans, stock except for a 4" cat back exhaust & AEM intake.

Thanks
bshaw

Here is the fix to your problem
Here you go this is a good post by Band Member on the fuel pressure reg spring install.
Fuel Regulator Upgrade w/ Pictures - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
2 stroker

bshaw52

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Here you go this is a good post by Band Member on the fuel pressure reg spring install.
Fuel Regulator Upgrade w/ Pictures - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
2 stroker

Thanks 2 stroker, I had seen that post yesterday, will go to the dealer and pick up that kit. After I get that installed I will do a voltage check on the FICM, I had run the batteries down to nothing trying to start it before changing the ICP and wonder if I have cooked it.
Anyway Thanks again I'll post back after I change the regulator.

jetallman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a fuel leak coming from the front of my secondary fuel filter. It's not a loose filter cap, it's leaking from what looks to be a cover plate with two torque screws holding it on.

Funny my 05 F250 just started the same leak a couple of days ago coming from the same spot, except for the fuel smell I have no other problems. I'll probably just hope it last until spring or a fire happens which ever comes first

jetallman

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I look at this and the $59 price, my question is why not change the complete pressure regulator? The cost of it is $79 then you dont have to mess with the springs. And will this stop the leak

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg