First post

imtheway

The New Guy
Reaction score
Whats up PowerStrokers? This is my first post, so be gentle.

What im riding: 2002 F-250 Lariat 7.3L TD 4 x 2 SuperCrew Short Bed pearl blue/tan

What I have done: New head unit and door speakers, TV/DVD/VCR/Sat. TV

About me: i have no mechanical skills at all. im not really sure about anything except my truck is sexy! there are some things i want to do yet so ill get advice from the pro's.

Appearance: i want the white/clear lights as my running lights (the lights over the cab). mine are orange, i like the clear/white look better. Any ideas where i can purchase them from at a good price?

i also want some after market wheels...18" or better...but its hard to find any unique ones that will fit the 8-lug design...any ideas?

I found a really good set or rail bars with the led's on the back for the truck bed.

Performance: i want a new intake...i was going to by an "ASE"? but then i found Tymar and now people are t elling me K & N. What is the best? Where can i get the best prices?

My boy just sold me on getting a chip. He has the "Bullydawg" chip. i liked it, but i think the Diablo chip is better. What do you guys think? Now mind you, im not looking to race...i just put about 30K and more a year on my truck...i need something better than 15.6 mpg hiway.

Thats really it for now, unless you guys recommend other things. I look forward to talking more about these monsters! cant wait to see the response!

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Welcome to SuperDutyDiesel great to have you aboard! :thumbs

For the clear cab roof lenses I'd check out this Ebay Link as this seller has them and for a good price.

I'm not savvy with 18" wheels but perhaps some of the other members will provide some input that'll help.

The AFE filters are widely used and come recommended by many so no doubt in their quality but for pricing you'll wanna check out our Sponsors for their latest offerings and sales :sweet

I have not yet dabbied in the chip market as I'm just running a programmer but doesn't rule out a chip purchase in the near future :D
To acquire the best mileage I recommend a performance intake,exhaust system (or BTM) and a Chip/programmer and keep the RPM's under 2,000 for the best results MPG wise :sweet

There's many low buck/free mods available for the 7.3L's it's just a matter of having the time to knock em out :D

Again Welcome to the site and post up as often as you like no matter how minor the question may be :cowboy:

Bill

kwazyca

Sesquipedalian
Reaction score
I also would like to welcome you to SDD.

I am going to give you some suggestions and options. Just remember this is my opinion. I have shopped around, researched, and BSed at length with many people so I would like to think it is at least not an ignorant opinion. :rolleyes:

Wheels: The selection of 18" wheels is somewhat limited for our trucks (bolt pattern is 8 X 170 MM). With the introduction of the 18" wheel on the 2005 trucks I am sure this will improve. At this time there is a much bigger selection in either 17" or 20". Obviously the bigger the more expensive. You want to specify a backspacing of 4.25-4.5 inches of backspacing on the wheels to prevent problems.

Before doing any engine mods everyone highly recommends GAUGES. These accessory gauges allow you to monitor your engine/transmission closely and keep yourself out of trouble. With any aftermarket engine products that increase fuel you are going to need to monitor your exhaust gas temperatures (EGT's) with a pyrometer mounted pre-turbo. This is a critical factor in the life of your turbo and motor. If you do any towing then you need to know that, if you have an auto, then it is the weak link in the powertrain. A transmission temp gauge is extremely important for prolonging the life of your tranny. A turbo boost gauge is also nice (and fun to watch) but not absolutely necessary. Here is a link to some gauges from a reputable company with good customer service. There are others so shop around for everything.

Keep in mind that diesels want two things. Air and Fuel. The more you can provide of either the better a diesel engine likes it (within limits).

The Tymar is a great intake and much cheaper than many of the comparable open element intakes out there today. Call Tymar @ 509-922-8785. Here is a link to a couple pictures of a Tymar installation and finished product. I would stay away from the K&N products. They do not do well in our applications. I can post a lengthy comparison test if you want to see it. The K&N rates poorly on the comparison in all areas. I have also read/heard from many people who have found dust on the inside of their intakes after the K&N filter. There is also a Ford product called the AIS. This is a high flowing intake for your truck and since it is a Ford product there is no warranty issues with it.

I would also recommend an exhaust system. The faster you can get the hot air out of your motor the better. I recommend a MBRP exhaust system. The stainless systems will outlast your truck and provide much more flow from your motor. Again, air in and out, helps immensely. You will see a slight MPG and performance gain from just an intake and exhaust due to the fact the air is flowing more freely through your motor. You really need to do an intake and exhaust to realize any safe gains from a chip/programming.

As far as the chip goes:

If all you are looking for is economy and towing. I would go with a re-programmed PCM (truck computer). You can either remove yours and send it off to be re-programmed, or you can buy a new PCM from the programmer and keep your stock one. There are a couple of benefits to this strategy. Number one is it is cheaper than a chip. :D . Number two is it allows you to keep your stock PCM and re-install it whenever you need warranty work done (many dealers frown on chips and chips leave evidence of their use on the PCM). I won't get into the moral debate of fooling the dealer.

Currently Jody Tipton (DP Tuner) is one of the best programmers on the Ford Diesel scene today. He has re-programmed PCM's and chips. Jody takes the time to talk to you and custom design either product for your specific truck and what you want your truck to do. BullyDog, TS, Diablo, etc, all sell you products that are designed to work on any of 1,000 trucks. I recently switched from a BullyDog (BD) chip to a Tipton chip. I can tell you first hand I have more, smoother power, and better mileage with cooler EGT's. Currently I have Jody's 6 position chip and on "Econo" setting I am getting 16 MPG on the Hwy. I was getting 1.4 MPG less with the BD. Without a chip at all, the mileage is around 13 MPG. I have a 6.5" lift and I am running 37" Mud Terrain tires on 17" rims. Not exactly a mileage queen.

I know this is a lot of information to throw at you. I am sure some other members will chime in with their personal preferences on modifications and suppliers. Again, read as much as you can and talk to other diesel guys whenever you can. Shop around whenever possible. You are now officially infected with PMS (Powerstroke Modification Syndrome) :thumbs .

I hope this helps and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask (NO SUCH THING AS DUMB QUESTIONS).

Tom

Last edited:

imtheway

The New Guy
Reaction score
CHPmustang; 95Stroker; Kwazyza,

thanks for the welcome. phew...what a ton of info>!!! as i said, therei s so much to do...ive been looking and only just recently found this great tool. i hope to find all sorts of good advice. and hey, if i can help just ask...im not a pro, but i have common sense.

thanks

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Looks like you already have plenty of information to digest so I will just say WELCOME TO THE SITE.

imtheway

The New Guy
Reaction score
Hey all,

I just spoke with Dale over at TYMAR Performance for about the last hour....I RECOMMEND THESE GUYS! their price is great and the product seem great. i just ordered my intake and coolant filter so ill keep you up dated on its proformance.

thanks for the heads up.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
imtheway said:
Hey all,

I just spoke with Dale over at TYMAR Performance for about the last hour....I RECOMMEND THESE GUYS! their price is great and the product seem great. i just ordered my intake and coolant filter so ill keep you up dated on its proformance.

thanks for the heads up.
Dale's definitely one of the good people :sweet

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WELCOME TO THE SITE !!!

Good folks here, with lots'o knowledge and exsperience......

You can take what kwazyca (Tom) sez.... To the Bank. Fer Surre.

JOE

Did he say anything about GAUGES, before anything else ?????

;) :) :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14