Question First time changing oil!!

snoxer20x

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I purchased my truck about 3 months ago and it is finally time to change the oil. I have never done it before on a diesel!! I have the oil and filter, just wondering if there is any tricks to it? Seems pretty straight forward but a little nervous as it is the first time. Or any tips you guys might have would be great!! I never got a manual with my truck so I dont know what the capacity of the 6.4 is either??? I have heard 15 -16 litres?? Is changing the filter as easy as unscrewing the cap and swapping the old for the new filter? Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

KRISTOLSON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just unscrew the cap, lift up and the filter will come with it. the top of the filter snaps into the cap. pull the old one off, pop the new one onto the cap, push the assembly down, screw the cap back on and you're done. You are supposed to change the filter before draining the pan, as when you unscrew the cap it opens the drain valve on the housing and allows the oil from the filter to drain down into the pan. One thing to remember, have a big enough oil pan. The oil capacity is 15 quarts... just over 14 litres, right? big mess with a 6 quart pan.....

snoxer20x

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
One thing to remember, have a big enough oil pan. The oil capacity is 15 quarts... just over 14 litres, right? big mess with a 6 quart pan.....

haha ya thanks alot I was thinkin about that already!!! Think I might need to go buy a bigger pan! Or a big box of kitty litter!! Thanks alot for that info. I probably would have drained the pan first otherwise!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I slide a 5 gallon plastic jeep can under the truck and drain it into this. Saves transferring to another container.

Dave

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
I wouldn't run any filter in that unit except the M/C or the Fram. All filters are not created equal. BTW, that oil comes out in a big hurry when its hot.

RandyH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the FL1995 was just for the 7.3L, the FL2016 for the 6.0L and not sure what the 6.4L uses that Snoxer has.

blueoneton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Randy H,

You are correct, the FL1995 is only for the 7.3, I was thinking snoxer20x had a 7.3, like me, my mistake.

bot

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58