Question First time changing oil!!

KRISTOLSON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The chatter I get on the web is that the m/c is basically a purolator filter, the fram is made by allied signal. while the fram claims to produce a 96% single, 94%multi-pass efficiencies they are at 40 microns, while the claim the motorcraft makes is 68% efficient at 20 microns. Both are average for filters, just a different test media size. And they probably filter about exactly the same, if measured with the same media size. What I am really interested in is the mobil one oil filters. They claim a 99.7% single and a 99.2% multi-pass efficiency and use a combo fiberglass and cellulose filter membrane. If i could find one for the 6.0 I would definitely try it.(probably don't make one)

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
Actually the filter for the 6.0 is the same one for the 6.4. That being said, the filter is a different animal than most. Without having a core, outer jacket, or any internal structure, this filter depends on the integrity of the vertical pleats. Some manufacturers have tried to place an internal tube in their filters but the result has been low pressure on cold starts. Some are too soft and will "twist" from top to bottom and then your oil pressure is compromised at any time. The filter has to be stiff and able to retain its integrity while oil soaked and hot. Its also held in under pressure from the cap and the spring loaded base. So the upper and lower seals have to be right. I've tried Purolaters early version which used an adapter. N/G. I bought a case of 12 Luberfiners. 11 of those are free to anyone who wants them. The Fram is nothing more than a re-packaged M/C. Just a little cheaper.

RandyH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone a couple of months ago posted a link to this site that has a lot of good info on our engines. I'm still working my way through some of the videos. Check out Part 2 of the Fluid, Filters and Fuel video for insight on differences in the construction of various filters. This guy seems very knowledgeable, straight to the point and doesn't seem to be trying to sell one brand over another, although there are certain areas he strongly recommends Motorcraft replacement parts. :D

POWERSTROKEHELP.COM - The Information Source for Ford Power Stroke Diesel Owners

Last edited:

TexasA&M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
POWERSTROKEHELP.com is an awesome website. I've already watched about 45 minutes of video... very straightforward and informational. The series regarding the differences between the 7.3 and 6.0 was awesome. Made me feel pretty good about the 6.0 (even though my CEL is on and throwing a P0299 code).

Anyhow, it is very good information for anyone interested it knowing how the motor works, and how to keep it working right.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58