First time for everything

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
Well, guys, for the first time since I bought it, my truck gave me reason to curse it. She wouldn't start up this morning. Cranked for 15 seconds at a time, nothing... It is down to the low 40's here in the morning, so it is cold enough that no glowplug=no starty. Here is what I did.

1.) Jumped the GPR from terminal to terminal with jumper cables. Got a tiny stumble when I first cranked it up, thought it would start, but no cigar. :cussing:

SO, that ruled out GPR, in my book, so I started thinking batteries. It was cranking over just fine, and all the accessories were running okay, but I know the GP system takes a LOT of amperage, so it is usually first to go when the batteries drain down. So, what I did...

2.) Jumped the cold GPR relay post straight to the battery hot. With Key off, (No additional accessory load on the batteries) I let the GP's heat up. Turned the key on, turned to start, and she started right up like it weren't no thing. :sweet

My conclusions... BATTERIES are toast, need replaced. However, since batteries are not cheap, I wanted to make sure you guys agreed before I took the plunge.

ALL IN FAVOR, SAY "AYE!" :D

ALL WHO DISAGREE, SAY "NAY!" AND THEN TELL ME WHY!!! :D

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
If your bats are over 3yrs old I would say it is a good bet.

Tbar

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I say Aye on Batts, if they are OEM. But I'd also check out yer GPR. If it's the origonal, might be time to change that out too. New Batts, New GPR yer "good to go" fer another long while.

:dunno

JOE

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
nice trouble shootin Hoss, I say AYE batteries. Wanna buy some leaky one year old Interstates. -mad Shoulda bought Optimas Budro

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
DaveBen my 4 year old daughter just saw your avatar and said

"Ew a pirate Piggie" :roflmao :roflmao :sweet

kenh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A cheap DMM will allow you to measure battery voltage.
Should see 150 - 200 RPM when cranking.
No start when cold, low batterys, wait a full two minutes to make sure G-plugs are ogg, then crank.
Just for curiosty I cranked mine w/o waiting, started up in a dense black cloud of smoke.
Temp. about 45*

Glassdude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I say aye to batteries, but i'm with Big Joe. don't rule out the GPR. Replacement doesn't cost much and will give peace of mind.

Mike

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14