First tow with new truck

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
Took the trailer for a test run after I got it loaded. 6800#. Pulled some decent hills and accelerated all the way up. Tow/haul mode does a good job braking on decent.

Airbags and rear sway bar will added soon. The longer leaf springs sag a little easier. Sway isn't too bad. Trailer sway control actually makes a difference. I loaded the trailer light in the tongue just to see what it would do.

We are on the road next Monday headed to WA from NY. I'll have a complete report once I get settled in WA.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
you don't stop by here for a beer, you suck.

I priced one, too, as the #1 spawn wants a 3/4 or 1 ton as well...
just like the younger daughter, that has been driving my truck since April...

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
Probably won't be stopping. I have an online college class that starts the 27th. We are planning on stopping at Mt. Rushmore for a day. My brother is getting married Saturday so that is delaying our departure.

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
I don't have many pics yet. (I don't carry a camera very often.) There are few on here somewhere.

Leaving WNY this morning headed for WA.

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
All mileage hand calculated. Towing #6800 in a 7x16 tandem axle trailer. Ceiling is 6.5'. Low: 10.5mpg @ 75-80mph w/ headwind. High: 13.2mpg @ 65-70mph no headwind. No complaints yet. Tow/Haul downshifting is very aggressive. We are currenlty in Chamberlain, SD. Off to Mt. Rushmore tomorrow and then heading over the big hills Thursday and Friday.

wpfd571

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be safe and have fun, i've got a road trip to pheonix az. on the 26th should be a long but fun trip

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
Made it to Spokane, WA today. Averaged 10.2 pulling all of the passes on I-90. I had a guy in an empty D-max pull up to me on the Continental divide. He paced me and I eased into it up to 75. Truck never downshifted out of 5th. (which is an OD gear). I could hear him downshift to keep up.

I could pull each hill as fast as I felt comfortable with all of the curves. I even back off once to let a tractor trailer pass another. No problems accelerating mid-grade.

Down hill I think the trans is a little aggressive. I rarely needed to brakes. Just a short tap and the trans would downshift and hold speed.

I switched off the trailer sway control a few times. It really helps with crosswinds and winding down the big hills.

We finish tomorrow.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg