Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
Sweet. Makes me wish I had a display so I could fix it. :roflmao

drchris1024

SDD Security
Reaction score
Fire1 said:
Sweet. Makes me wish I had a display so I could fix it. :roflmao

I thought all of had an overhead display. Don't feel left out they don't work after you chip'm or hook up a tuner...I guess it makes a nice thermometer :D

drmjf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the repair tip

Thanks, Daryl. Mine stopped this summer and I will see if I can repair it.

RoReRi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford_Forgotton said:
The factory overhead trip computer in our 1999 and newer trucks have a tendency to die. Luckily, they are a somewhat easy repair if you have a steady hand, and a very small soldering iron.

Click the following link on how to fix your overhead display when it goes blank.

www.forgotton.net/diesel/tripcomputerfix/index.html

Very good write up!!!
The burn mark you are talking about, is the result of the manufacturing process taking the "air" out of the readout. In other words its a "getter" heated up to the point of burning. The process of burning eats the oxygen up and creates a vacume, hence the burn mark.
If you noticed, all you old timers, the vacume tubes in older radios had a burn mark in them for the same reason.

Just some trivia I got from an "old timer";)
uhh, maybe I heard it on the discovery chanel.;) ;)
uhh, well maybe I heard it from.., I can't remember exactly where I saw it:dunno

RoReRi

BIG DUTY

F-250 Care Taker
Reaction score
I recently fixed my overhead. The write up was correct about the resisters. After fixing them, the display turned on. However it soon turned off, the problem was the connection between the female end of the plug and the circuit board. After reconnecting this problem, the display works flawlessly. Thanks for the help.

wotton

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Good writeup.

While fixing mine I noticed that all four resistors are bad, even though only two looked bad. I also found that simple adding more solder did not work very well.

I removed the resistors, added solder to the pads, wicked the solder back off and then soldered them down with some good old lead based solder.

Works perfect now!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64