fixing rust

McDizzle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i have some rust on the rear wheel and the drivers side cab corner what can i do about it? and how do i go about fixing it the right way?:dunno
heres a couple pics of it
3-2-08Truck011resize.jpg

3-2-08Truck012resize.jpg

BIG DUTY

F-250 Care Taker
Reaction score
Im not sure about the rust warranty because if its a 2000 then its already 8 years old. I had a similar problem with my 2000 SD. I had rust and flaking paint behing the rear wheel wells and the bottom of my tailgate. My solution was to repaint the areas. I first used a grinder and then an orbital sander to remove the rust. I then taped off the area i needed to paint. I chose to paint the wheel wells and rear corners black. I first sprayed rust converter, then primer and finally a base and clear coat. There was no bondo needed cause it was only surfase rust. Its harder to color match and blend than to paint a contrasting color. I also used hurculiner bed liner under the rear wheel wells and the bottom lip of the tailgate. I used Bushwacker flares to finish the look. Let me know if you have any questions.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
if it hasnt perforated yet, and there is substantial metal still remaining, soda blasting and fresh paint i think would be the best fix. if it has perforated it is time for a patch panel and full on body repair.

HAPPY SIDE NOTE: your truck is white! blending the paint lines will be easy!

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
if it hasnt perforated yet, and there is substantial metal still remaining, soda blasting and fresh paint i think would be the best fix. if it has perforated it is time for a patch panel and full on body repair.

HAPPY SIDE NOTE: your truck is white! blending the paint lines will be easy!

What he said.;tu

BIG DUTY

F-250 Care Taker
Reaction score
They are correct white is very easy to match as long as you can blend and make the paint smooth. Hopefully yours is just surface rust. After reading this post i have seen a couple SDs with the rust on the bottom cab corner. Is it a common problem? I hope i dont have this problem in the future.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
that will work, but sandblasting is definatly much better.

if you use a disc, if you use an aggressive paper (such as 36 grit) it will chew the material away quick, and leave big gouges that will show in the paint. i did a quick search and found this short "how to" . there might be something better out there if you look around.

Classic Car Restoration - How To Community

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg