Fixing up truck - need help

Ironmerganser

Ironmerganser
Reaction score
So the wife says to me "Your truck is getting a lot of miles on it, why don't you get a new one or spend some money and fix yours up." Who am I to argue??? :D :D

I love my truck and don't want to spend the $40K to replace it so I figured spend about half that and make mine the way I want it.

So....I am going to do some cosmetics, interior, maybe a little lift, wheels, spray bed liner, etc. I also want to yank the motor and clean it up, refresh it and put in head studs......maybe remove the EGR system?? Anyone know of a good 6.0 builder? I don't want to hot rod the motor, I just want to clean it up and replace or get rid of the weak points.

I don't know any builders so just looking for some help. Thanks!!

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure of any builders but I would be very interested in following your build, sounds excactly what I would like to do in a year or two

ponyexpress94

Diesel Power Junkie
Reaction score
Not sure but isn't Elite Diesel Engineering out in Colorado somewhere? I believe their specialty is 6.0 Liter Fords. Might be worth a phone call at the very least as I'm not exactly sure how far away they are from Omaha, NE.

Ironmerganser

Ironmerganser
Reaction score
Yeah....Elite diesel is on my list. I am thinking:
1. Fix or eliminate the EGR
2. Head studs
3. Fire rings
4. New fuel delivery system (FASS?)
5. Replace anything old (glow plugs, rings, gaskets, hoses, etc)
Then its on to interior and exterior:
1. body and paint
2. replacement bumpers (ranch hand, road armor)
3. lift
4. wheels
5. fender flares

We'll see....its probably not going to start until mid year....but I figure I better get my ducks in a row.....so to speak....

rustinh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a good plan of attack. You might look into glow plugs and injectors as well. That way you don't have to worry about them for a good long while. Also, clean up the turbo according to the Diesel Technicians' Site. Make sure to check out the bearings/wearable parts while you're there. Mine will be getting similar treatment but much less expensive over the next 6 months or so.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
iron:

sounds interesting...interested in following this one...

how many miles you got on that btw?

as for engine workers - not a dang clue:sorry

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58