Help Needed Fleas

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, :rant I have a problem here and it's driving me nuts. I have 4 dogs and a 1/2 acre of land. I need to find something to kill off the fleas, the part of the state I live in is in a drought and we are not to water at all. I have tried everything I can think of and it's not working. Anybody have any home brew ideas. The fleas have gotten to the point that they are immune to everything I hit them with. :dunno I do have to watch what I do with the baby around too.

Thanks for the input,

Dsl_Dog_Catcher

Where's your dog?
Reaction score
Might look into an insect growth regulator to apply on the yard along with
Frontline for the pooches.

Poke here for some info on the fleas and their life cycle.

They are nasty little buggers and are hard to get rid of but the IGR's wont kill them directly, but basically halts their reproductive life cycle and is more or less a form of yard genocide targeting the insects that mature thru a larvae stage.
Tis safe for all in the household.:sweet

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
get your dogs on sentinel for heart worm prevention it also will keep fleas from hatching through IGR. Works great on my Sheltie up here in the north end of the state.

I also will spray my yard with cutter's bug free backyard (more for my comfort) until last year the active ingredient was permethrin which is very effective at controlling insects including mosquitoes, fleas and ticks (requires a bit heavier dose).

Here is a site I've stumbled upon that I am going to use to order some more permethrin from since I can't find anything that has permethrin that's not mixed with other chemicals I'd rather not use.

As a side note permethrin is the active ingredient used in many of the liquid monthly flea repellents on the market such as frontline. Speaking of frontline have you tried it?

Another alternative for you is to visit a tractor supply store, pet supply store, or farm supply store and look in the horse care section for fly sprays looking for permethrin for the active ingredient and spray your dogs with it.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
I wonder how a bulk application of sulfur(from the feed store) on the property would work?

Tbar

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder how a bulk application of sulfur(from the feed store) on the property would work?

Tbar

Could not brown my yard anymore then what it is...LOL I took a 500gl holding tank home, going to use it for holding gray water from the washer and us it for watering the yard. Everything I have for the fleas has to be watered in so we will see.

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
I'll 2nd the Frontline Topspot. I had two dogs for 12 years with no fleas. Treat the dogs and yard and house all at the same time to get rid of the initial problem and keep the dogs treated after that. I eventually quit even treating the dogs and the fleas did not come back.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
3rd the frontline or bio spot.
our pups have zero fleas... and it seems to also make em leave the yard, i have never been bitten by them in our hay field.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lady Bugs anyone ?

I've used'm on Fleas, they also took out the White Flys and various Mite type critters :dunno

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
has anybody tried this stuff

NemAttack - Beneficial Nematodes - S. Feltiae
Garden Size: 10 million nematodes - Treats 3,200 sq ft

Attacks Passing Pests! Best suited to warmer climates. These are most effective in sandy or disturbed soils against mobile pests such as fleas, cutworm, sod webworm, termites and more. Recommended for southern states.

Most Common Uses: Fleas, caterpillars, cutworms, sod webworms, worker/soldier ants and worker/soldier termites.
Others: American cockroach, armyworm, artichoke plume moth, Asian cockroach, beet armyworm, black cutworm, bluegrass weevil, codling moth, corn earworm, cotton bollworm, cucumber beetle, fall armyworm, fly larvae, fruit fly, German cockroach, leaf miners, mole crickets, tobacco budworm, wireworm, and more.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14