fluid change in axles

fgtex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

Question. I am crazy or are there no drain plugs on the stock 2002 F350 4x4 SRW front and rear axles? Do I have to take the covers off to change the fluid? I see the inspection/fill plug, but not one lower than that. If so, I will have to wait until I can get some new covers.

fgtex

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
I am thinking

YEP, pop the covers, that way you get a look inside to.
95% sure

even my 02 dually the cover had to be popped off

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
fgtex said:
If so, I will have to wait until I can get some new covers.
You have to remove the covers to get the old oil out unless you get a small pump and suck it out but it is much better to remove the covers. You don't have to replace the covers with new ones just clean them up, run a bead of silicone around them and reinstall.

Elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crumm said:
You have to remove the covers to get the old oil out unless you get a small pump and suck it out but it is much better to remove the covers. You don't have to replace the covers with new ones just clean them up, run a bead of silicone around them and reinstall.

And enjoy the smell of gear lube!! :woot

JimmyDee

God Bless America
Reaction score
And use 75-140 synthetic gear lube in the rear as per your owners manual. A little less than 4 qts.
Jim

Maintain

Platinum Edition
Reaction score
If you have a limited slip you'll want to add about 6-8 oz of friction modifier. The key with that is to use as little as possible to cease the "chatter" in the rear.

You can use brakleen on the diff cover and use a gasket scraper to get it off the diff cover and pumpkin itself. Try to avoid using Brakleen (while some say its ok) on your internals since it is a lubrication killer and if travels somehow down your axle tubes can deteriorate the wheel bearing grease. There is a blue tube at your local store called PERMAtech, and that is what I used. It is simple, and fun if you ask me. I have yet to do my stroker but I did my Mazda and my friends Jeep, check my profile for pics.

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
Maintain said:
If you have a limited slip you'll want to add about 6-8 oz of friction modifier. The key with that is to use as little as possible to cease the "chatter" in the rear.

You can use brakleen on the diff cover and use a gasket scraper to get it off the diff cover and pumpkin itself. Try to avoid using Brakleen (while some say its ok) on your internals since it is a lubrication killer and if travels somehow down your axle tubes can deteriorate the wheel bearing grease.

Nice to have another knowledgable member on board. Welcome!

What everybody else said, excpet I want to stress the SPECIAL fluid needed in the rear diff. 75w 140 synthetic. It is EXPENSIVE!!! But without it, you Sterling 10.5" rear end will become road debris.

Maintain

Platinum Edition
Reaction score
I honestly don't know much... I only post on projects I have done/researched for whatever reason.

CPS, AxleSeals, HPOP Orings, and other minor things. I've always loved lifted trucks and had some so I know about gear ratio's, and stuff like that. BTW I'm only 19.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58