Fluid on engine top?

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found some on mine this a.m. that might have been there forever or just showed up. It seems like a bit of water, heavy oil, and a dash of fuel oil too. It's buried down in there, I plan to try to clean it up then watch for a "refill".

Any tips or advice, for example is it normal ?

Will post a few pix of my ongoing coolant filter install and how it fits against the AFE air intake mod. Would appreciate help on how to manage pictures, I attached 2. I'm clue-less!!! :eek:

99F250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have some fluid on mine also, its right in the middle of my engine on top, it looks like transmission fluid but my Transmisson fluid level never seems to change. I would like to know myself what this could be from.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Have you done a CCV mod? If not then check the orange boots on the plenums going to the cylinder heads. If they are oily the fluid is prolly oil.

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks RD. No to the CCV mod. Yes to the oily-ness of my engine top, including the orange boots and also the hot turbo air pipe (blue) and insulation. General mild oil vapor residue throughout. Normal?

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
The oil vapors from the CCV will cause the oily boots. It's normal until you've done a CCV mod like what's in the WIKI HERE by Tbar.

Once the stock boots are oil soaked you get what you have seen in the valley. Now if it smells like fuel then you have other problems.

This is what my boots looked like before doing my CCV mod....

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, thanks Antonio! That is an oily boot for sure. I will check out the WIKI, I could use some of that oil on the underside for rust preventative...

I hate to admit it, but after I have today added some fuel oil to the mix on top of the engine after changing out the filter (plus t-stat and installing the coolant filter system). Got into a hurry and didn't drain the bowl out completely first! :( Gotta get a small baster to suck that stuff out, I guess. Dang, it is a long way into the back side of that engine!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl