flushing the coolant system question....

imtheway

The New Guy
Reaction score
whats up strokers,

im am going to install my TYMAR coolant filter saturday morning. my question is on flushing the coolant system. my truck only has 73K, but i figure as long as im going to be draining the system...why not just flush it out? when i flush it, do i just put a hose in the radiator and turn it on until all i see is water coming out? how much coolant should i be looking to put back in? any brand recommendations? just curious.

imtheway

bigdaddyTank

Who's your Bigdaddy?
Reaction score
I have an 01 and switched from the older coolant that required SLC additives to an ELC type coolant that is supposed to last longer and not need additives. I believe Ford went to the gold ELC coolant in 2002, someone else my know for sure. Here is how we did mine. I didnt use a flush kit, I ran distilled water through it until only water was comming out and then added in 4 gallons of Zerex G-05 antifreeze. Ford has there own coolant, Fleetrite is another good one and Rotella 's ELC is one I have hear good things about. The requirements that you want it to meet are ESE-M97B44E-A

Last edited:

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Ryland you oughta add the flush procedure in the wiki as it'll help alot of owners looking to upgrade from green coolant or just need to flush the coolant :sweet

Bill :cowboy:

bigdaddyTank

Who's your Bigdaddy?
Reaction score
Thanks BIll, Ill head over and check that out then. Is there any way to cut and paste my page into the Wiki or would I be better off just creating a new wiki page?

OH and Tank got another one the other night. A 6 to 8 pound Opossum. :sweet

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
I made my own coolant flushing tee. It isn't pretty but it works. My only problem was that the cold water closed the thermostat not allowing a good flush of the engine block. I ended up pulling the thermostat while I did the flush then put it back in when I was finished.

Tbar

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
CHPMustang said:
Awesome addition Ryland! I have to get that added to the community main page :thumbs

Good job guy's. Now Bill doesn't have to get his camera wet when taking pictures of me doing this mod. :D

bigdaddyTank

Who's your Bigdaddy?
Reaction score
:D Glad I could save a camera. Thats why there are no pictures directly above the coolant or under the pet****. I kinda dropped a pager in a bucket of coolant one time working on my old Dodge took me about an hour to realize it had fallen off the bumper. I dried it out and turned it back in to work, said the crazy thing just stopped working :oops:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14