Fogging mirrors

Rookie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This morning when I left for work (0530) the exterior mirrors had condensation on them so I took the squeege to them and took off. It didn't take a couple of miles down the road they were covered again. I have the RV type and I was thinking of heating them up but haven't come up with a way that doesn't make it look jerry rigged.

Anyone else deal with this and what did you do to get around it? I used rainx thinking the moisture would blow off with the wind but...

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
im glad you posted this.....for a long time now i have been thinking of somehow wiring in a heater of some sort. im not sure what i would use exactly. interested to see what others have done.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's overkill. :D An expensive fix to a simple problem. Rain-X sells an anti fog product which is a bit different than their standard Rain-X formula.

hey i always say...anything work doing is worth OVER doing !

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's overkill. :D An expensive fix to a simple problem. Rain-X sells an anti fog product which is a bit different than their standard Rain-X formula.

I've used the Rain-X anti fog stuff fer years. Works real good. Lots a Fog & Dew 'round here in the winter. Road grime does'nt build up as bad either. Re-do it 'bout once a month.

Rookie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, guess I should use the stuff designed for a specific problem...what a concept...:)

I was going to pop the mirrors out and stick the heat elements like what's on the big boys truck mirrors and poke a hole in the door and run the wires through or try and design a scoop that would direct the air down and over the mirror to push the condensation off...

Too much thinking...I'll just get the anti fog stuff, :thanks

thanks guys

Ron

Russ

Found On Russ' Drive
Reaction score
I have looked for years trying to find a heating element to fasten to the back of the glass, with no luck. But my dad tried this idea. He added two 1157 bulbs on brackets pop rivited to the back of the mirror. then ran a wire along the arms to the the door, then ran a hot wire in. It worked well but the anti fog stuff is just as good.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Roan65 installed heated mirrors on his 95' years ago. He has since joined the Chevy crowd and then the Dodge crowd but I will try and dig up the old thread on his install. I believe he just removed the glass and installed a mirror heat grid on the back.

Rookie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's pretty much what I was thinking of doing. I have an old mirror I was going to practice on.

I re-did the mirrors last night with standard rainx - I couldn't get to the parts store for the anti fog - and it actually worked pretty good this morning.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14