Ford and 6.4L Bashing

spideygsm24

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Is it just me or is there alot of 6.4L and Ford bashing? I understand that some (not all) of the early year 6.0L and 6.4L motors had some issues. The other American and Fiat owned auto companies that manufacture trucks have issues with their motors also. There is no such thing as a bullet proof motor.

It seems to me that Ford and the 6.4L motor are taking alot of flack. The 6.4L motor gets a bad rap for gas mileage. The other diesel trucks have the same problem with mpg's and it's the emission crap required by the government. When I bought my truck I never expected great mileage. I bought it to tow and haul toys and gear. It has been a great truck so far and the mileage hasn't been bad for a 1-ton truck. I couldn't be happier with the towing capability and power.

I personally have had good luck with all of the vehicles I've owned by using OEM parts and letting the dealer do all of the work. Other people like to work on their own trucks and prefer to use performance parts. Either way, it seems like the key is to do the maintanence at the intervals recommended by the manufacturer based on the use of the truck.

There seems to be more positive posts about the 6.4L than negative posts. Looking down the new threads there aren't a whole lot of problems with the 6.4L. While problems will occur on any motor, I can't believe people are having so many problems with the Ford dealers. Sometimes I wonder if some of the negative Ford and 6.4L posts are made up??

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
My opinion is I dont care what other people think. Most are probably the gm and chrysler guys bashing each other and Ford. I have a good relationship with my Ford dealer. I bought my diesel from them and my other fam members and friends have also bought from them. I agree, all engines will have their prob. Everyone will come up with some little excuse or point to make on the other persons truck or car or whatever. I have never had any major probs with ANY of my Fords and thats all we own in my entire fam. Of course im biased when it comes to the other brands hehe:D I agree that the 6.0 and 6.4 didnt get very good props BUT with some changes they are sweet ass motors. BUT I went with the 7.3 cause its a tried and true motor and really hasnt had too many probs and you can make it a great puller. Everyone else is just mad cause Ford makes the best selling trucks on the planet and the others dont even come close. More superduty's out there than any other truck. And even more F150's. :hail Ford didnt circle the prob, they circled the right answer:D:sweet

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
personally the 6.4 will be as we watch the best for the money and ease of servicing. right behind the 6.0

i have several friends that run fleet trucks and the 6.4 and 6.0 are their workhorses
plus an old 460 gasser for changing tires on the OTR trucks:D

oil field guys here flat beat the snot out anything that rolls, gm ford etc.....
we see more other guys stuff in the shop than fords, for powertrain issues

however the fords lead the pack at busted springs and cracked rear frames parts...mainly because they overload the pee out of them (cranes, heavy pumps, etc etc)and then go dirt road bump jumping getting to the pumps and oil batteries .
my ford guy had a truck in with a bed that looked like it had been hydro-formed by 55 gallon drums full of STUFF taxing around the back end :D

the DEF issue still has me out on a limb...we were going to replace the rv with a newer one 2010 model and it had a def tank.....book said expect to burn 30- 50 gallons of def with each 150 gallons of fuel.....WOW can you say freaking nuts.....that much of a price jump just to operate imo is to far out there.

oh and our 2006 6.0 was a champ. of course the hpop qd failed...

and i caused a hot side turbo failure from sitting to much and it rusted up and stuck the vanes

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya gota remember: The ONLY reports we here about are the ones from owners with a problem.. Compare those numbers with the number of 6.0's & 6.4's on the road, and in-service ?

DANG good motors.. I'd say. :dunno

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
I know how you feel, I get tired of hearing crap about my "defective" 6.0 engine. It runs fine except for a cold injector stiction problem that is slowly working itself out. I did not believe the sand that came out of my newly installed coolant filter. Other than those two issues, the truck is my pride and joy.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I liked my 6.0 but the problem it had was that know one could find reason for two motor replacements so I got rid of it. 2 motors in one year was a problem. The 6.4 I like but MPG suck. I have talked to guys that have the new DPF system in the 2011 trucks and they say it's not a bad system. Ford should look at a change over system for the 6.4 motor to improve the mileage.

spideygsm24

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Dogman:

I would prefer not to have any CAT or DPF system if I could do so legally. Utah is strick and the cops have started pulling over smoking trucks and they do emissions testing every two years.

One thing that needs factored into the 6.8L motors is the cost of adding Urea every 5000 miles or so. I don't know all the workings of the new exhaust but what happens if the Urea tank runs dry?

I'm so happy with my 6.4 that I can live with a little less mpg. I could have gotten a 6.8L but chose the 6.4 becuase of it's good track record and because Ford made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

No regrets.

ducky1402

Reaction score
well my work truck is a 6.0 with 90k chipped since day one only problem was radiator bad and compressor for ac went out, 2008 30k driven across country 4 times no issues knock on wood... inlaws have an 09 with 30k hard highway miles no issues... had a 99 put 240k on it no issues..... All these trucks have been taken care of as well but good trucks for sure :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14