Question Ford Dealer Cheating Me ? Alternator PCM

sheriffjohn

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
2008 diesel super duty 250 crew cab. Cruise control not working. Went to Auto Zone, had batteries & charging system checked. Batteries fine. Alternator ok. Voltage Regulator failed.
Ford Dealer said must replace alternator as voltage regulator is now inside alternator. Diagnosed cruise control problem as brake switch. $768 later, have new alternator. Dealer said they misdiagnosed cruise control problem, replaced brake switch at no charge anyway. Told I need to replace "Power Control Module" as that was the problem leading to other problems

Part cost - $668. Did not replace "power control module" yet as tech said it would probably be ok. I am NOT familiar with new vehicles. My first diesel. Have had the truck since new. 67000 miles on it. All parts have been dealer installed since new. All service done by Ford dealers. Truck mostly used for camper hauling, including 10,600 mile trip to Alaska. Never been "hot-rodded", used for off-road play, or otherwise ridden hard.

Replaced idlers and belt March 15 to get rid of "chirping noise". What would you do ?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Get a scanner so YOU can see the Diagnostic Trouble Codes your self. There are many scanners that will work on your truck. Just make sure they will read CAN communications (most will). I bought an autoenginuity.com software/hardware package for my PC laptop and I have been happy with this. Not the cheapest tool out there. :thumbs

Dave

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Couple hundred bucks will buy you a CAN- capable scan tool. You don't need one with diagnostic routines built in. You just need to pull codes. That, and a library card, so you can access Chilton or Alldata for the flow charts..

sheriffjohn

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks, gentlemen. We bought a scan tool (on sale at Autozone) Saturday. Ran scans on both my truck and his. The tool worked great. No problems found. Those babies have come a LONG way since I fooled with one 15 years ago! This forum really helps a lot Thanks again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14