Ford vs Chevy prices

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and I was just reading on a BMW forum where they were discussing that the LT# motors were disposable engines.

Powerstrokebloke

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I will need to send my 428 Edelbrock Aluminum heads out to be ported for my race engine, and they have given me a price of $1,500.

Below is a Chevy engine from Jeggs for about the same money.
I guess you get what you pay for. :lmao

GM Goodwrench 1970-85 350 Engine & Packages - JEGS

You know what they say,
"try and try as hard as you like, you just cant polish a turd"
I guess that just proves it.

Tell me some more about your FE Maxtor.

I am building a new 383 stroker cleveland over here, its a big one.

Mine is going into a 1973 Australian Ford Falcon.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
I will need to send my 428 Edelbrock Aluminum heads out to be ported for my race engine, and they have given me a price of $1,500.

Below is a Chevy engine from Jeggs for about the same money.
I guess you get what you pay for. :lmao

GM Goodwrench 1970-85 350 Engine & Packages - JEGS

Hmmm, I've always been a SB Chevy fan. Strong, easily and cheaply modded and plentiful as heck.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score

That include matching up the intake manifold and exhaust?

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That include matching up the intake manifold and exhaust?

Not the intake, that is $200 more and I can do that myself , but it includes complete cnc porting and installing the oversized valves. I bought the heads bare, and then purchased 2.19 intake and 1.75 exhaust valves. The complete Edelbrock heads for the 428 come with 2.09 intake and 1.66 exhaust. On the FE 428 the exhaust at 1.75 will hit the cylinder walls, so they have to be cut down to 1.710
The intakes can stay at the 2.19 size and fit fine. Porting the heads will get them flowing at 330-350 on the intake and 200-225 on the exhaust side, which typically increases the horsepower another 70 horsepower.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
They taper the valve guides or run them straight? This sounds like an interesting build you have going.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know what they say,
"try and try as hard as you like, you just cant polish a turd"
I guess that just proves it.

Tell me some more about your FE Maxtor.

I am building a new 383 stroker cleveland over here, its a big one.

Mine is going into a 1973 Australian Ford Falcon.

Sounds like you are going to have a fun Falcon also.
Mine is a 1960 Falcon with a straight axle, C-6 automatic, 9" 4.11 posi.
I have a 1970 Ford 428SCJ engine with nitrous in it now, but have not run it in years, so I need to rebuild the engine, trans, and carb. "850 Holley".
I have some extra 428 engines so I picked one to rebuild instead of the one in the car. The parts are Edelbrock rpm heads and intake, Manley valves, Probe 4.17 pistons, Total Seal gapless rings, 428cj rods, 428 balanced and polished crank, Arp main, head, and rocker arm studs, Comp cams 306S cam, Comp solid lifters, push rods, valve seals, retainers, and double spring set. Double roller gear set and all the other parts and pieces needed to put this together. The block has had align honed mains, decked, oil galley changes, matching oil to main bearing holes, etc. etc. By the machine shops computer program they show it to make 640 hp without nitrous. I personally think that figure is a little high. I would be happy with 590 hp and then add another 150 hp with nitrous. The Falcon weighs 3000 lbs. about what your Falcon should weigh. The 428SCJ has iron heads on it, so with this new engine, it should just be under 3000 lbs.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, I've always been a SB Chevy fan. Strong, easily and cheaply modded and plentiful as heck.

I put a ZZ3 engine in our 240Z, and that was the biggest mistake that I made. I bleed Ford blue, but our Fords would not fit without major cutting. So my choices were a Briggs and Stratton or the Chebbie. I lost the coin toss and bought the chebby.. :(

Every time I walk into the garage, I think I need a Priest to Exorcise the demon in the 240Z. :dunno

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They taper the valve guides or run them straight? This sounds like an interesting build you have going.

Good question... I have not looked, because the heads are still in the boxes. I think they are straight, but will have to look.

I just tested them, and the exhaust valve clears a 4.16 bore at the top of the deck, but as the valve goes down the cylinder it touches the cylinder wall, so the exhaust valve guides must be tapered very slightly.
Intake valve guides appear to be straight.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58