Ford vs Chevy prices

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
That a side oiler with a dry sump [ala 427 cobra] or a regular pan, maxtor?

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That a side oiler with a dry sump [ala 427 cobra] or a regular pan, maxtor?

I have a 427 side oiler, but this one is a 428 top oiler. With all the oiling modifications along with the the windage tray and roller rockers to help keep it together at 7000 rpm, it is almost as stout as the 427. Of course the 427 has cross bolted mains. The 427 block is good for 900 plus hp, while the 390/410/428 blocks can crack at about 750 hp and above. Some have gone above 750 hp and lived, but some have not. I do not race the 427 engine, because it is very rare, and I am saving it for a Cobra kit car. That might be a bad idea, because at our age "wife and I" , a open cockpit car is not very practicable. As it is, we do not drive our Nissan 300ZXT because it is to low for us to get in and out comfortably. The reason I am starting this project now, is that if you play the averages, I only have about 10 years of good health left, so if I do not do it now, I will not be able to enjoy it at all.
Of course we could all be like George Burns and live to be 100, but if I remember correctly he could not feed himself at that age.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
I have seen the lifter gallery on the old B/B Ford's epoxied to try and keep the block from cracking. Its been years since I've had one apart. What are running for an oil pump? Melling?

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen the lifter gallery on the old B/B Ford's epoxied to try and keep the block from cracking. Its been years since I've had one apart. What are running for an oil pump? Melling?

Sounds like you have had some experience with the good ole FE engines.

Yes, the FE engines like High Volume "not high pressure" oil pumps.
Mellings HV57 oil pump works great, and I use them in all our FE engines. I always modify the oil passages along with using the HV57 pump so the engines live at high rpm. I have been building FE engines since 1969, and have built 390's, and 428's for others as a hobby. Some people like to fish or hunt, I like building FE engines.

Last edited:

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You think Ford is expensive vs Chevy? Try being an orphan and building Pontiacs!

I am not saying Ford is expensive, I am saying chebby is cheap.
With just heads and valves without porting, the Ford heads cost more than the whole chebby engine. Add the porting and the Ford (Edelbrock) heads are twice the price of the chebby engine.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score

My oldest brother always had them. I was more of a big block Mopar man myself. We built a 511 and ran it it a Dart GT. Essentialy a 440 punched .060 over with a 1/2 stroker crank. My dad got us the crank from a guy in california called "Hank the crank". We ran fly-cut TRW pistons, a roller chain and gears, "purple shaft" cam, mechanical rockers with solids, 1967 high comp. heads, a windage tray, fender exit headers, and that was about it. It would fly. The FE engine and the Mopar 340 s/b motor both had the problem of the lifter galley getting weak and the blocks would crack. The 440 didn't have the cracking issue. My brother had a Fairlane with a 428 he had blue-printed, balanced, and had a tunnel ram intake, and that thing was really quick. Ah, the good old days of REAL cars.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score

My oldest brother always had them. I was more of a big block Mopar man myself. We built a 511 and ran it it a Dart GT. Essentialy a 440 punched .060 over with a 1/2 stroker crank. My dad got us the crank from a guy in california called "Hank the crank". We ran fly-cut TRW pistons, a roller chain and gears, "purple shaft" cam, mechanical rockers with solids, 1967 high comp. heads, a windage tray, fender exit headers, and that was about it. It would fly. The FE engine and the Mopar 340 s/b motor both had the problem of the lifter galley getting weak and the blocks would crack. The 440 didn't have the cracking issue. My brother had a Fairlane with a 428 he had blue-printed, balanced, and had a tunnel ram intake, and that thing was really quick. Ah, the good old days of REAL cars.

Yes those were the good old days. I bet that 511 was wicked fast.
Fairlanes with 427 or 428 engines were very fast also. We had a 66 fairlane with a 427 and a 68 fairlane with a 428. The 66 was a transplant.
Those 340 Dusters were very quick also.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
Yes those were the good old days. I bet that 511 was wicked fast.
Fairlanes with 427 or 428 engines were very fast also. We had a 66 fairlane with a 427 and a 68 fairlane with a 428. The 66 was a transplant.
Those 340 Dusters were very quick also.
The 511 was fast, but only in a straight line. It would overheat in short order and we had to run a cool-can or the gas would boil on a hot day. But we also had some interesting cars, not just hot-rods. I had a couple of 3 cylinder Saab 2-strokes and a Triumph TR7 I bought for next to nothing with a rod knock. My oldest brother had an IH scout with a 4 cylinder [1/2 an 8, remember those?] and a tin indian with the OHC 6. I also had a Riviera with a 401 nail-head and dual quads, totally stock. Thought it was a grannie's car and sold it. :doh:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58