Found B100- Got Some Questions

ihatelaramie

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I've been interested in alternatives to petroleum diesel for a while now, and just recently found a source of commercially produced B100. It's about $.20 cheaper to the gallon the the petro stuff, and because of Hurricane Ike, it's actually cheaper than regular unleaded in some places. I have done some poking around here and there and have had difficulty getting non-conflicting information about the stuff. Anyway I have a 1997 Powerstroke and my questions are as follows:

1. What possible problems can i expect, other than maybe a clogged fuel filter?

2. Does bio really eat up rubber hoses and wiring?

3. What is my mileage likely to do?

4. How quickly can I transition to straight B100?

I should mention that I am running about 40% bio right now and would like to go all the way. I just really want to get some reliable info, which I'm sure this community can provide, before I take the plunge and end up hurting something.

Thanks in advance.

jestersv

7.3 addict
Reaction score
97 should not have any problems other than filters I run b100 every chance I get that is when I have some made (I do it myself) made a trip to fla. in aug. took 110 gal on a cargo rack on the back of my excursion made it to central fla spent a week there and came back to the st louis area had to buy fuel in ky. on way home whole trip cost about $150.00 for fuel (not bad for about 2300 miles) by the way my son got better mileage than me he was getting 19mpg my lead foot only got 14-15mpg so mileage is all about how you drive. also send this guy a pm http://www.superdutydiesel.com/forums/members/rickh.html he has a lot more bio miles than I do

Last edited:

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
1. What possible problems can i expect, other than maybe a clogged fuel filter?

2. Does bio really eat up rubber hoses and wiring?

3. What is my mileage likely to do?

4. How quickly can I transition to straight B100?

Other than B100 degrading the two return lines (FPR to each head) to a black sticky goo and B100 cleaning out your fuel system (depositing all the gray dino diesel residue from your tank and fuel lines to the filter) you're good to go. B100 has 7% less BTUs than #2 so your mileage should be 7% less. Some people (me included) notice less acceleration on B100 than #2. B100 can't be used in the dead of winter because it gels so it's blended with #2.

ihatelaramie

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
How common is it for the return lines to melt? I was looking around and it seemed like only a few of ya'll had trouble with those lines. I'm wondering if it's just a luck of the draw type thing or if I should count on replacing those lines.

rickh

Biodiesel Rules!
Reaction score
Ihate check your PM
I can tell no diff in mpg with B100. Just got back from TX, helping family with Ike recovery and cleanup. 15 mpg going down, 14 coming back. (no ac on the way down, used it on the way back. That 15 is the best I have ever seen out of the 97 with 4.10 gears. And I was loaded. 50 gal of gasoline 2 gensets 210 gal of Biodiesel food water chainsaws what ever I could stuff in the truck I did.
Rick H...

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
ihatelaramie expect your return lines to melt. I've heard of at least 10 different OBS owners running B100 whose lines melted. I believe RickH was one who never thought it would happen to him but yup ya can't fool mother nature. She always wins. :D

Rich IMO 15 mpgs with a 4.10 rear and a loaded bed sucks. I get above 19 mpgs on vegoil road trips loaded and yes with a 4.10 rear too. ;tu

rickh

Biodiesel Rules!
Reaction score
ihatelaramie expect your return lines to melt. I've heard of at least 10 different OBS owners running B100 whose lines melted. I believe RickH was one who never thought it would happen to him but yup ya can't fool mother nature. She always wins. :D

Rich IMO 15 mpgs with a 4.10 rear and a loaded bed sucks. I get above 19 mpgs on vegoil road trips loaded and yes with a 4.10 rear too. ;tu

19 would be nice! Driving habits I guess, when the speed limit says 70 to me that means up hill as well!
I never get much above 19 with the 96 and the 3.73 gears.
I should try it stock on a trip. I have supertuners safe mode loaded.
Maybe a custom chip from Tony would help.
Rick H...

karpenter5

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm wondering are the lines that degrade are exspensive ,I have a van and right now I have the turbo out so I have some room to move around so if they are not too much I woul like to change them out now because I would like to start runnin bio . Are these lines in the front of the engine?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58