Found this on another Forum

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found this on another Forum, Just posting for a Heads up CA drivers.
California - Pulled Over For Computer Check

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok so this is a strange one.

I was with one of my co-workers yesterday in his super duty (2007) and he was pulled over by a CHP officer. When pulled over, the officer brought a scanning tool and and said they were inspecting all diesel trucks coming through. I was like, what the hell? My co-worker has nothing done to his truck, so no big deal. Took 5 minutes. This is the first I've heard of an inspection like this and it sure made me paranoid. Basically they're scanning for smog equipment tampering. The officer didn't even conduct a visual inspection under the truck for exhaust mods, he went straight to the plug-in port to plug in his tool. This was obviously not his first rodeo. Is this becoming standard practice???

We're both in the market for 6.7L that we would most likely mod. This experience though made me reconsider as the fines are pretty hefty, so I hear.

We were in Los Angeles, on a surface street. This is a non-commercial truck. Basically stock but with aftermarket wheels/tires.

Anyone else run into this?

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Caly is always a testing ground for the rest of the US to see what they can get a way with. I would have told him to get a warrant then you can test. But I can see this back firing on them.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I am thinking this is illegal, just as Tbar quoted, but I am not a lawyer. Some one will bust them... I hope.

Dave

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was talking to a buddy who's a judge and this is a big problem. He said refuse the testing and get a copy of the Fourth Amendment. If these trucks are to be tested then the test port would be on the outside of the truck like new 18 wheelers. The outside is neutral area.

bomberman760

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The underlying problem here is that his co-worker is a dumbass, and is ignorant of his constitutional rights. The sheeple just really don't seem to care anymore about privacy and constitutional rights.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
hmmm
4th amendment
and if he had a current sticker then .....shame on him for letting the do it right boy up in his business so to speak

me...I would have said NOPE not at this time ( respectfully)
then when he threatened to detain me until a warrant could be sought
I would have said OK lets sit here.....and turned on my cell phone recorder.

however....if he is licensed driver in california...he better check the state law and all the rights you sign over when you elect to get a drivers license

just like in texas you refuse a sobriety test.....your going to jail and they will get a sample of blood as well its in the fine print of getting a drivers license

i would imagine if this is true...he was profiled for having aftermarket tires and maybe his driving habit.... just saying

i have dis-agreed with leo's on the side of road a few times...but respectfully
if you know your rights and assert them then your normally ok except in new mexico

the other fact remains and needs to be mentioned.
most folks cant afford 400 and hr attorneys plus 4k retainers, the lawman knows this and they sometimes push the envelope of whats legal and whats maybe over the line....
I would ask
would you rather pay a ticket or go to jail, pay an attorney plus bail and go to court and get it over turned....your still out thousands of dollars.

then write lots of letters to the big G and ask WHY

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found this on another site, I have no clue how old it is.

CA Roadside Smog Check

The future is here........Big Brother is breathing down our necks! Today in Sacramento I came upon a roadside smog test site. The Bureau of Automotive Repair is working with the CHP to randomly select cars and pull them over for a smog check.

A site is chosen and cones are set up to direct cars that are "randomly" chosen by the CHP officer into the test area. A portable dyno is set up with rollers and smog check equipment.

I did some cursory research and found this on the internet:
It's almost ten years old but describes what I saw perfectly.

http://www.epa.gov/oms/regs/im/roadside.pdf

I have heard some talk of this but today I saw it for the first time. As I understand from quick reading this is a voluntary program and the chosen "victim" can refuse the test. Upon refusal the license number of the concientious objector is stored in a computer for who knows what draconian measure.

As I understand it the intent of this program is to compare test results of a random sample of vehicles against the results of their previous smog test administered by a smog check station. So it appears that this is a test of the smog test program rather than a test of your individual vehicle per se.

The only question is whether (or when) a penalty will be issued to the driver for a failed random smog. With CA being in the crapper financially it won't be long before someone sees the $$$.

I was reading the laws in ca, How in the hell do you guys and gals put up with that crap.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
I was going to add, but had to stop for dinner
these obd scanners/testers are not cheap. Hence the law has probably amended to let them do roadside checkies.....and is also covered under your plate or tag renewal statues....

thanks dogman for digging a bit

Ca has just about killed general aviation as well, making piston engine driven aircraft there almost illegal. they are banning any LEADED fuel for aircraft and if you are able to get the fuel the taxes are off the charts
shell, Phillips and Texaco already are pulling out of piston engine aircraft fuel and will be a supplier to a third party that certifies and adds the blending for aviation fuel, which leaves that company open for the liability claims of aircraft exhuast causing you on the ground to be ill.
and ca wonders why people leave the state is going broke.
drive companies out and leave the flakes so to speak.

i think if ca wants to add all these regulations then we oil producing states should simply not supply them :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58