Fourth row seating.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Anyone installed a rear seat? We have some company coming up this summer and need seating for 10 in our X. I was thinking about putting a seat facing the rear behind the back seat. If I equipped it with seat-belts I wonder if it would be legal? It will be 4 adults and 6 kids so comfort back there is not a big issue , just need a place to strap them down but I removed the roof rack a few years ago.

dmftoy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could always insert a "hitch haul" into the receiver and hand the kids a couple of stadium seats. :)

I think your biggest challenge will be mounting the 4th seat somewhere. You'll probably have to drop the tank to get any decent mounting points. I wonder if you could pick up a couple of those old bucket's that they used to put in the back of the Subaru Brats? I don't know how they mounted but they were pretty compact.

Good Luck!

Have a good one,
Dave

architect-builder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crumm said:
Anyone installed a rear seat? We have some company coming up this summer and need seating for 10 in our X. I was thinking about putting a seat facing the rear behind the back seat. If I equipped it with seat-belts I wonder if it would be legal? It will be 4 adults and 6 kids so comfort back there is not a big issue , just need a place to strap them down but I removed the roof rack a few years ago.

Performanceproducts.com has had a rear facing seat for the Ford Explorer for a few years in their catalog. I'll be you could retrofit it for the Excursion.

Hope it helps.

Barrett

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
That littlepassengerseat.com looks like the ticket but $720 YIKES.....

I already have the proper license to drive anything hauling anything so that is not a problem.

I think I may be able to pull the back seat out of our Explorer and make some temporary brackets off the back seat pockets in the Excursion to mount it. We only need it for a week.

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crumm said:
That littlepassengerseat.com looks like the ticket but $720 YIKES.....

I already have the proper license to drive anything hauling anything so that is not a problem.

I think I may be able to pull the back seat out of our Explorer and make some temporary brackets off the back seat pockets in the Excursion to mount it. We only need it for a week.

Have you considered something like a rear seat from a Jeep CJ or something like that.... ?
may not match your interior, but for the short term may work for you...
and would be an easy find @ a junk yard I'll bet...
bolting it down would be easy...

good luck !!!

Or just throw some pillows back there and tell them to stay down !!!!

bigdaddyTank

Who's your Bigdaddy?
Reaction score
Crumm said:
I think you may be onto something :sweet
If you do that then just get one of those big bunggee nets and strap them down with it, that would work like a seat belt AND hold them down :roflmao

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg