FPR shim question

kbud14

I will never learn
Reaction score
Once installed check your pressure again. Remember you are shooting for 75~85 psi.

This is from the WIKI on FPR shimming.

Now you need to turn the system on and check for leaks and set the regulator to 60 PSI MAX. Single shots only need 60psi to operate correctly.

This is from Bean's website under installation instructions for his complete fuel system. I know he is talking about damage to the filters if set above 60psi, but if single shots only need 60psi, why am I shooting for 75-85 when shimming my FPR?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is from the WIKI on FPR shimming.

This is from Bean's website under installation instructions for his complete fuel system. I know he is talking about damage to the filters if set above 60psi, but if single shots only need 60psi, why am I shooting for 75-85 when shimming my FPR?[/QUOT

I'm a 99-03 guy but what I think Bean is saying is:

Shoot for 75 to 85 Psi (like head pressure), but regulate it @ 60 PSI (Operating Pressure).

That way you'll have a consistent 60 Psi.

kbud14

I will never learn
Reaction score
When I shimmed my FPR I used the cap screw. I did not use the nut because when I installed the screw the guage read 60-65psi idle (liquid filled guage). I took this to be adequate, as 60psi at the FPR is 60 psi to the injectors, correct? Am I wrong and should shim to 75-85psi?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I shimmed my FPR I used the cap screw. I did not use the nut because when I installed the screw the guage read 60-65psi idle (liquid filled guage). I took this to be adequate, as 60psi at the FPR is 60 psi to the injectors, correct? Am I wrong and should shim to 75-85psi?

What yer after is.. at least 60 psi under ANY throttle demands. If you only have 60-65 at idle.. and you go WOT, you may have only, say 50 (or less) psi.

Shooting for 75-85, at idle, >before the regulator<, should then, according to Beans thinking, give you >At Least 60psi<.. After the regulator. at any throttle demand.

Again.. I'm only trying to help you understand what I THINK Bean is saying, and his reasoning behind it.

Maybe some of the 94-97 guys will jump in and agree or dis-agree ??

kbud14

I will never learn
Reaction score
See I am only trying to understand why I should be shimming the damn thing to 85psi. If the psi drops at WOT than that makes sense, but does it? And Bean never said to regulate anything to 85psi, the WIKI did. Bean said to regulate his fuel system for 60psi, because single shots only require 60psi. My question is, on my stock fuel system, does 60 psi at the FPR equate to 60psi at the injectors?

kbud14

I will never learn
Reaction score
And thanks BIG JOE. I do appreciate your input.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My question is, on my stock fuel system, does 60 psi at the FPR equate to 60psi at the injectors?

Not necessarily. If you had a Fuel Pressure gauge in the cab and you saw 60psi @ idle, on yer stock system, put it in gear and Romped on it you'd >probably< see a drop in that 60 psi. Yer injectors are not getting the FP they need, off idle. Yer engine operates >OK<, but not as good as it Could. IMO, A generically designed Dezel engine, for Mass Production & Sale.

That is the Sole reason why we bump the FP up on these generically detuned engines, Any engine for that matter. To Maintain a given (60 psi minimum), off idle FP at the injectors, under a demand. Do that (?) and they'll perform better throughout the Power Curve. DUH ;) :)

Go with the 94-97 WIKI, give it a test drive, go from there.:dunno

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
i havent had any problems yet, but i threw a bb in and ran it! i dont have gauges so im not sure what its running at, ill check and post my findings.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl