FPR Shimmed...at last.

ForumBlue

CDXX
Reaction score
Well after several problems I got the FPR shimmed to 70 psi. I guess it's true what they say about the shims affecting each truck differently. It must have something to do with the filter houseing because with the my original housing, the second largest shim was right at 65psi but the guy (you know who you are) I got the shim from said his was at aruond 70 with that shim. Then after breaking that houseing and finding a new one on ebay the same shim was only at 61psi. Now with the largest one in it is dead on 70psi.
A couple of questions:
Is 70 to high?
and
I was under the impression that these shims would help the off the line hesitation these trucks have, but at 65 psi it actually seemed worse, and now at 70 it is better but still about the same as before I did anything to it when it was at 53(stock). Was I mistaken or is there something else wrong?

For those of you who think your having Deja vu. Yes, I sometimes post the same thing on several different sites. :nono:

Cat235D

TDS Refugee
Reaction score
Mine is set at 70 and it feels good there. In fact it even took some of the injector rattle away.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I've found most 7.3's run the best in the 68-72 psi range,our Excursion I have dialed in at 69 psi which seems to run very well from the stock 53 psi.

I shimmed up in 3-4 psi increments till the 68-70 range was reached :sweet

Which gauge setup did you go with?

Bill

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ForumBlue said:
Well after several problems I got the FPR shimmed to 70 psi. I guess it's true what they say about the shims affecting each truck differently. It must have something to do with the filter houseing because with the my original housing, the second largest shim was right at 65psi but the guy (you know who you are) I got the shim from said his was at aruond 70 with that shim. Then after breaking that houseing and finding a new one on ebay the same shim was only at 61psi. Now with the largest one in it is dead on 70psi.
A couple of questions:
Is 70 to high?
and
I was under the impression that these shims would help the off the line hesitation these trucks have, but at 65 psi it actually seemed worse, and now at 70 it is better but still about the same as before I did anything to it when it was at 53(stock). Was I mistaken or is there something else wrong?

For those of you who think your having Deja vu. Yes, I sometimes post the same thing on several different sites. :nono:

70 is about where you wana be. FWIW ? I found that my truck seemed to >Get< better.... took 3 or 4 days for things to realy happen. Give it some time :dunno

Unless you do some YAHOO, Hold on and Shut up injector/fuel system Mods, 70 is good. Just my opinion tho....

JOE

ForumBlue

CDXX
Reaction score
CHPMustang said:
I've found most 7.3's run the best in the 68-72 psi range,our Excursion I have dialed in at 69 psi which seems to run very well from the stock 53 psi.

I shimmed up in 3-4 psi increments till the 68-70 range was reached :sweet

Which gauge setup did you go with?

Bill
Bill,
I went with DI's shim kit and guage. I got it used from Hammer when he got his fuel system.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
I ran my 7.3 at 65-67 found it to be teh best for cackle and idle knock.
I have my regulator and hoses from my 02 .7.3 took em off when i sold it. 60k on the regulators and ss hoses. no leaks or problems
pm me if interested. it is the HUTCh inspired regulator.
it was also modified to relieve all pressure at shutdown, which stopped the raw fuel from the air box smell.
best darn mod i ever did to my 7.3 smoothed her out

ForumBlue said:
A couple of questions:
Is 70 to high?
and

CSIPSD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I set mine to 70 months ago, I dont now how much it helped. But it didnt hurt anything! Just like the AIH delete- dont know if it helped but it didnt hurt!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58