French fry or Chicken exhaust?

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, at what temp do you think you should no longer mix with Diesel? What kind of mix ratio are we talking. I know to be sure you should do the freezer test on a test batch mixed. Just wonder what other may have found.

KansasDiesel

fly'n low on WVO
Reaction score
Fire1 said:
Just out of curiosity, at what temp do you think you should no longer mix with Diesel? What kind of mix ratio are we talking. I know to be sure you should do the freezer test on a test batch mixed. Just wonder what other may have found.

I have mixed up to 50% WVO to diesel, but usually will mix 20% I mix it out of the truck then poor it in. I only did this in the heat of the summer, now that temps are variable and that I have my truck converted to run heated WVO I don't use very much diesel.

I only put the mix in my rear tank, and left the front tank all diesel, reason is that before you introduce veggie oil to your cylinders it is important that the engine is at operating temps. Problems of coking can occure if you don't let your engine warm up.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
With as low as the temps get here in Dallas during the winter I'll probably stay with a 25% pump diesel blend.

I may insulate the fuel lines just for extra measure.

HCAbowman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in NC, and it can get cold here in, but what would be the cost of a system that you use on this stuff, I think I read around 1500 or so...but Im sure it would be worth it!!

KansasDiesel

fly'n low on WVO
Reaction score
HCAbowman said:
I live in NC, and it can get cold here in, but what would be the cost of a system that you use on this stuff, I think I read around 1500 or so...but Im sure it would be worth it!!

I did my truck on the Vegistroke concept ( www.vegistroke.com ) The man that came up with this idea was deployed overseas and there were a few of us that converted our trucks to this concept. He is now back and starting a company to produce kits just for the PSD's very specific kit for our truck. Which I believe is the BEST for our PSD's, I love it :thumbs

The price depends on what tank and such, It probably would run around the 2300 dollar range if I was to guess, not really sure, depending on the climate you live in. There are other DIY kits that are cheaper but will not do what this one does.

It is very nice to drive and not see the fuel gauge drop. It is nice to see 3/4 of a tank and 500 miles on the trip meter. :thumbs

Those are Pro's the major Con I have run into with running veg oil is getting enough to run my truck and car. :( Some places get paid for thier oil and others have people like me collecting already....making it harder to get more sources. :cowboy:

HCAbowman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great site..thank you!! I will definately be looking at this...Just gotta wonder where I would put the X-tra tank on a Excursion. Ive got a couple ideas...just not sure how to put the filler neck for the oil.....

Thank you guys very much for all the explanations and help!!

KansasDiesel

fly'n low on WVO
Reaction score
HCAbowman said:
Great site..thank you!! I will definately be looking at this...Just gotta wonder where I would put the X-tra tank on a Excursion. Ive got a couple ideas...just not sure how to put the filler neck for the oil.....

Thank you guys very much for all the explanations and help!!

I haven't looked an X over to see were to put anything, but I was talking to a co-worker that is maybe considering an X and told him it might be possible to convert the existing fuel tank to veggie, and then add an smaller 5 to 10 gal tank undernieth for diesel.

Question? You could look into making bio-diesel, and would not have to convert your truck. Avg cost I believe is around $1.10 to make with free WVO. The cost to make a processor is around $500 and up depending on where you find your parts, it takes longer to make bio then just filtering WVO and running it. But you don't have to convert your truck either. Just another thought. I am about to get started makeing bio too, once I find the time and a place to do it. :cowboy:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14