Fresh Diesel Fuel - Are High Volume Dealers Better????

Beachbumcook

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with everyone that fresh diesel is preferred and buying from volume truck stops is better than small stations that sell very little... or so I thought... keep reading below.

However, I spoke with a trucker the other day and he said that he has no choice but to buy at truck-stops, but will not do so if a tanker truck is currently unloading or just has!!!!

You ask why????

Well, the fuel is being added to the underground tanks, it is stirring up and mixing the sediment and water in the tank with the fuel and getting pumped out into our trucks. By waiting or going to lower volume stations, the sediment settles to the bottom and the water settles to the bottom as well. This way you are pumping better quality fuel (less or no water or sediment)!!!!

I buy from medium volume stations as I have no truck-stops near me. I run PowerService in every tank full at double strength and have never had a problem. Based on what this gentleman told me, it sounds very resonable and probable?

What do you guys think... maybe something to consider for some of those on this board that have had problems with the WIF light comming on?

Thanks,

Jeff

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I have been running Ford diesel pickem up trucks for 14 years without any fuel problems. I get an occasional WIF light, but I drain the filters to remove whatever water there is, but no problems. My trucks have always started and run.

Dave

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
hmmmm
the place i get most of mine, has a sure fire way to tell me the filters are dirty. the poor old pump will slow down to where its pumping about a half gallon every minute. I go in and tell em and the next day it will be bck up to full speed. So far i ahve only recieved one bad batch from them with sand and water as for high volume, i see a #2 refill truck there about every 4 days
ever since our water/sand incident they have been very resposive to filter maintenance.
I think though, out and about its pretty much a toss of the coin.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I've found the fuel at busier locations such as truck stops or high volume places like Murphy USA to have a higher quality fuel at least when it comes to runability with our trucks.

Most pumps should have a filter prior to the filling gun,some internal some external that would catch sediment/water.

I also add a performance/maintenance cocktail at each fillup (70/30 blend of PS & Lucas) which has worked very well for us :sweet

CHP

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Diesel fuel naturally accumulates water so the less time the fuel stays in the tank the less chance it has to attract moisture.

Water naturally settles to the bottom of the tank and slowly rises in volume.

The pickup for the pump is near the bottom of the tank so as the water accumulates it rises nearer the pick up tube.

Unfortunantly filters are not always maintained presenting the oportunity for contaminants to be delivered to our tanks.

Tbar

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just my .03.... When I was a OTR driver, we only fueled at Big Name truck stops or at fuel stops that were listed on the Company's list of recognized fueling points.

Big Name places have a QA spec for the fuels they sell, and a good turn over. Bubba'z Git'n Go Dezel Center..... where fuel is 60 cents cheaper.....Prolly Don't.

ranger boy

Banned User
Reaction score
Water and any type of fuel dont settle, they just keep moving pretty much

Lernt that a while ago

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Over the past 120K I have never had my water in fuel light come on...and I don't drain it periodically. Maybe twice a year. Heck, it seems that I change the fuel filter more frequently than draining it for water. :D

I get my diesel at the least expensive service stations.

I always add Stanadyne Performance Formula.

I was told to get diesel at the busiest stations because of freshness/water contamination, but to me price is more important.

Last edited:

ForumBlue

CDXX
Reaction score
Beachbumcook said:
I agree with everyone that fresh diesel is preferred and buying from volume truck stops is better than small stations that sell very little... or so I thought... keep reading below.

However, I spoke with a trucker the other day and he said that he has no choice but to buy at truck-stops, but will not do so if a tanker truck is currently unloading or just has!!!!

You ask why????

Well, the fuel is being added to the underground tanks, it is stirring up and mixing the sediment and water in the tank with the fuel and getting pumped out into our trucks. By waiting or going to lower volume stations, the sediment settles to the bottom and the water settles to the bottom as well. This way you are pumping better quality fuel (less or no water or sediment)!!!!

I buy from medium volume stations as I have no truck-stops near me. I run PowerService in every tank full at double strength and have never had a problem. Based on what this gentleman told me, it sounds very resonable and probable?

What do you guys think... maybe something to consider for some of those on this board that have had problems with the WIF light comming on?

Thanks,

Jeff

This is common knowledge in the trucking industry. Some go as far as to ask how long it's been since they have taken delivery, and if its within a few hours they go elsewhere. I think that's overkill. As far as I'm concerned that's what fuel filters are for. My rule of thumb is that if the truck is unloading or is just leaving when I get there, I do not fuel, for the reasons you stated. I would sooner not knowingly clog my fuel filter, but I'm not going to ask how long it's been since the truck has been there every time I get fuel. This goes for whatever fuel you use diesel or gasoline.

As far as truck stops go, I tell all my guys to use Loves as much as possible. Loves have never giving any of my trucks problems and the fuel is always clean. Knock..Knock..Knock.

On edit I just realized this is my 300th post. WOOOOOHOOOOOOO. Nice little milestone.

Last edited:

ForumBlue

CDXX
Reaction score
CHPMustang said:
I've found the fuel at busier locations such as truck stops or high volume places like Murphy USA to have a higher quality fuel at least when it comes to runability with our trucks.

Most pumps should have a filter prior to the filling gun,some internal some external that would catch sediment/water.

I also add a performance/maintenance cocktail at each fillup (70/30 blend of PS & Lucas) which has worked very well for us :sweet

CHP

Bill,

Just curious. Why do you mix power Service and Lucas, and not just use one or the other? Have you used each one seperately and actually noticed a difference with the mix? I've heard of people mixing DFAs with Marvel Mystery Oil but never have myself.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14