friends 2005 duramax runs sluggish after 2,000rpm

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
i have a good friend of mine that has a 2005 chevy with the 6.6l duramax.

he bought some fuel at a local mom & pop store, then about 150 miles after driving it began to run sluggish when he would get over 2,000 rpm's.

i told him that i thought he may need to change his fuel filters.

i know some of you out there have had d-max's before, so maybe you could help my friend out with your knowledge.

i keep tellin him to get him a ford, but he hasnt seen the light yet. :roflmao

any help would be greatly appreciated.

:thanks in advance.

BTW, i also posted this over at oilburners

F350CCFX4

Smokin Bye
Reaction score
Yep and in about another 5 to 6k he is going to have to replace his fuel pump. Happened to both of my 06s after getting bad fuel in them.

Max Power

Reaction score
My 04 Duramax runs pretty good when it's running a 12.4 1/4 mile at 109mph or dynoing 610hp ;) It will be even better this summer when I upgrade to dual cp3 pumps and a new GT42R. Should be good for about 750 hp :D

scotty7751

Big Daddy
Reaction score
My 04 Duramax runs pretty good when it's running a 12.4 1/4 mile at 109mph or dynoing 610hp ;) It will be even better this summer when I upgrade to dual cp3 pumps and a new GT42R. Should be good for about 750 hp :D

doesnt dockboy have that much hp and runs like a second quicker or so. still seams slugish in a way.

Max Power

Reaction score
How fast does yours run?

Seriously, A ford, Dodge or GM of the same weight would run about the same times with that much HP. If you think that is slugish you have obviously never rode in a 12 second diesel.

I believe dockboy is running quite a bit more hp then I am. I've heard rumors of him running closer to 1000hp. I am but a measly 600hp.

Don't kid yourself there are A LOT of a fast duramax's out there.

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
Help me out then, when you start your truck do you have 14 volts right away or do you have to rev it up for the alt. to start charging? This D max is pissing me off. The power was so low that the trans wouldn't shift into gear or nothing. It's a 2001 P.O.S. Injectors and pump were rebuilt at 75,000 miles and now chugs at times.

Max Power

Reaction score
When you first start it and the glow plugs are on the voltage will be low until the glow plug light is off. Don't confuse this with the wait to start light as the wait to start light can be off and the glow plugs still on. Once the glow plugs are off the votage should come right up to over 14 volts.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58