Front Auto Lock hubs - OEM

dzl_x_4x4

Dzl_X_4x4
Reaction score
What I discovered was there was enough play in the wheel bearings that allowed the wheel/tire to skip teeth on the spline when I had the hubs locked. It was not the Auto-lock hub, that was the problem, it was the wheel bearing/backing plate assembly.

Yes, even after I installed the new wheel bearing assembly, the axle would still float up and down a little. And the rubber rings that are loose and floating are part of the seals in the diff and bearing assemblies, from looking at a new seal it appears to be a lip around the seal and I assume they break off. Mine are the same way. I did not replace these, because they are over $100 for all of them. I am not having any leaking from the diff's or the backing plate. And they look like a booger to replace.

To see if it is the wheel bearings, go out and jack up the front tire 4", grab the bottom of the tire with one hand and lift up/out and push on the top with the other hand. if you have any significant amount of play I would replace the wheel bearings. I had alot 1/2" -1"! You should have a very, very small amount of play.

bigo

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I jacked up the truck and checked for play. I did not notice any obvious amount of play other than the small amount in my slightly loose ball joints. I replaced the hub and the noise is gone. The truck handles much better on the highway but I still think it wanders a little more than it should. I have replaced almost every moving front end part on the truck and added a fabtech dual steering stabilizer. It is driving pretty decent but like i said it still has a little more wander than I would like. Basically the only thing left is the passenger side hub asembly. I may go ahead and swap that out. If it still wanders then I dont know what to say...........Thanks, Matt

bigo

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ford_Forgotton said:
It aint showed up yet. Just ordered it late last week. I bought all new OEM stuff just so I could have a truck to drive while the dynatrac conversion was in the mail.

Once the new stuff gets here, I'll swap the OEM out and sell whats still useable!
I will probably be interested in that slightly used hub assembly!

dzl_x_4x4

Dzl_X_4x4
Reaction score
bigo said:
I jacked up the truck and checked for play. I did not notice any obvious amount of play other than the small amount in my slightly loose ball joints. I replaced the hub and the noise is gone. The truck handles much better on the highway but I still think it wanders a little more than it should. I have replaced almost every moving front end part on the truck and added a fabtech dual steering stabilizer. It is driving pretty decent but like i said it still has a little more wander than I would like. Basically the only thing left is the passenger side hub asembly. I may go ahead and swap that out. If it still wanders then I dont know what to say...........Thanks, Matt

I don't know what year truck you have or what you have done. But on my 2000 X when I changed my shocks and added a sway bar on the rear it solved all the wandering and cornering issues.

Dzl_x_4x4

CHPMustang

Reaction score
dzl_x_4x4 said:
I don't know what year truck you have or what you have done. But on my 2000 X when I changed my shocks and added a sway bar on the rear it solved all the wandering and cornering issues.

Dzl_x_4x4
Front and rear sway bars on Excursions are a requirement :sweet

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14