front axle question

06cumminspower

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i snapped a u-joint on the front passenger side and it beat up the shaft in the process, i found a junk yard that has an axle shaft but they need to know wether my front axle is a spicer 44 or 50, so how do i determine which one i have or will they enterchange?

06cumminspower

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i snapped a u-joint on the front passenger side 0n my 83 IDI and it beat up the shaft in the process, i found a junk yard that has an axle shaft but they need to know weather my front axle is a spicer 44 or 50, so how do i determine which one i have or will they enterchange?

the cable guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they need the spline count, I think a dana 44 has a 30 spline count on the inner shaft not sure what the outer stub shaft is on the fords. U loint size should be the same unless the dana 50 uses the dana 60 components.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
diameter of the locking hub will tell you if it is a D44 or D50. roughly 4" is the dana 50 or 60 they both use the same lockout.

Here is a good page with info on the Dana 60.

If you have 4.10 gears from the factory then you have the D50. Given that the difference is a GVW for the front of 3800 for the D44 and 4500 for the D50 and the heavy IDI sitting over top of the engine I would suspect that you got the D50.

06cumminspower

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its a 83 f250 i did find out it's a spicer 50 front axle i just need the long shaft, the one that goes into the diff. i can't find it used, bronco graveyard wants 225$ for a new one

Last edited:

06cumminspower

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it's a spicer 50, i am having trouble finding it (passenger sid axle shaft that goes into the diff), does anyone know where i can find one used? i did find it new from bronco gaveyard but they wanted $225 for it

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably not a bad price... my driver side axle was $600, and the passenger side was a little less than that...new

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
try Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market it'll link you to the junk yards in the area some on there will ship you the parts. there are quite a few listed there with prices ranging from under 50 on up just depends on how close you are to them or what they charge for shipping.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58