Front Axle's Not Engaging

Chewman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I need some advice.

When I put my 2001 Ex in 4x4 the front end isnt locking in. The lockouts are automatics that at one time you could chose to manually lock, but they are stuck in the auto position. I popped them off yesterday and took the lockouts a part and they looked fine. Nice and clean inside. Everything moved freely except the selectors on the outside. I couldnt free them up.

The transfer case is shifting fine, the drive shaft spins and both axle's spin in 4x4, but the front end isn't locking in.

Where do I look now.

Thanks

Chewman

gentryken

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I read earlier about someone else having the same problem with their truck, cant remember who it was now...or even what thread...maybe they will see your post and chime in...

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
The automatic front locking hubs have been pretty much an unreliable POS ever since day one. They are vacume operated and because of that, when the internal vacume seals go bad (and they will sonner or later) they cease to function. The only way to lock in the front axle is to lock them manually. I found after a couple of years, that since they didn't work in auto and they got so damn hard to turn manually, I got rid of them. I replaced them with some Warn manual hubs. It was a very easy project. It only took me about 15 minutes to figure out the 1st one and only about 10 minutes to do the 2nd one.

Some time later, another forum member asked me for pics, so I re-created the project and took some photos. Click on my webshots link at the bottom of my sig.

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
Earlier I said a guy I knew burried his 2002 7.3 because he thought his hubs were locked but they weren't. I looked at his truck today and there were warn manuals on there, so that seems to be the fix. That is three people with warn's so far :sweet

01SMOKINSD

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I just installed the warns about 2 months ago, and love them! Best money ive spent in a long time. I believe the warn kit is number 11690 and I think they cost around $180.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg