front brakes

BigDaveZJ

uber noob
Reaction score
So it looks I'll be tearing into my truck for the first time. The stealership I got my truck from put new front pads on the truck, but they're the crappiest pads I've ever seen. They squeal like a stuck pig and throw off a TON of brake dust. So I'm gonna swap them out for something better. I can swap pads on my Jeeps with my eyes closed, just want to make sure it will be about as easy with the truck. I'm assuming there's two caliper bolts, pull those off, pull the caliper, swap the pads, and re-assemble? Will I have to mess with the hubs at all? I'm guessing I'd only have to do that for doing the rotors, but want to be sure before I dive into it as I'm leaving for Moab in 10 days and have a laundry list of other things to do too.

Any reco's on good pads too? I was gonna slap some Raybestos ceramics on there since I've had good luck with those on my Jeeps.

TIA!!!!

Rex-a-FORD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remove two bolts holding the caliper on. The pads will stay in place in the bracket that the caliper bolts onto. Just roll 'em to the side and the pads will come right out.

You'll prolly have to push the caliper pistons back a littel, Just use a C-clamp and one of the old pad to push the pistons back.

No big deal or gotcha's ..... easy job ...............

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Here are some pictures. First 5-6 should be pertinant to the brake job.

Pics

Tbar

CKyle494

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my '00 I had 2 clips above the pads that was a spring type pusher to keep the pads pushed back, this was the only pain in the butt to get it to stay in place while putting them back in. My suggestion is to spend the 20 bucks from Advance for the Brake hardware (maybe PN 5638A/H5638 Federal Mogul) this will give you clips for the pads and springs for the top of them and for the price even if you break one little clip they only sell them in sets. I found out later and haven't pulled my passenger side off and re-did it yet only the driverside.

BigDaveZJ

uber noob
Reaction score
Those clips were a major PITA!!! But got it done within a couple hours. Had to rethink how I was disassembling the caliper from the knuckle, I'm used to the one piece calipers on my ZJ so I undid the bolts on the slide pin, yeah, wrong ones!! LOL

But got it done, and my squealing appears to be gone! Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet.

CKyle494

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the brake job, did the new pads come with the anti-vibration/squeel thingies that goes on the back of the pads? Even without the anti-pads they are fine for the first couple hundred miles then all of a sudden one day they start (like mine has done) and it will PYO and won't be fun to listen to........-mad

BigDaveZJ

uber noob
Reaction score
Put a nice of coat of the anti-squeal that comes in those little ketchup looking packets on them, drove around for a couple hours today and they're perfectly quiet, definitely stoked. Went with the Reybestos Ceramic pads.

EDIT: They also came with all new clips and the little springy things that are big PITA.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14