Front end bearings goin out???

police stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys was driving my moms 99 f250 4X4 the other day and noticed that the right front end is making a terrible noise/sqeak. I was wondering maybe you can help Lance, I was thinkin if I try to replace the front wheel bearings are they built into the hub assb. if so I guess I need to buy new front hubs??? Correct. I need to get moms truck fixed up fast for her. The dealer told her it was the wheel bearings so that's what I'm going by for now until I sit down and take the front end apart.

what are your thoughts????

Last edited:

fullthrottle99

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yes, the hub bearings are in a sealed assembly that requires complete replacement. Other option is to buy aftermarket hubs with replaceable bearings for around $1100.

My hub story:
Couple a months ago soon after I bought my truck I thought the front right bearing was going out. I felt a grindy vibration in mainly the front right. The faster I went, louder it got. I tore it all apart and everything looked good: brakes, tie rod ends, wheels spun smooth, no play in max steering. Then I finally got smart and inspected the tires good. The owner before me ran BFG's for way too long without rotating them and the fronts were choppy from turning. I rotated the tires and the truck rolls like a cadillac now. I definitely suggest jacking it up, inspecting brake pads and rotors (remove them to see if there is metal on pad, especially the indicator rubbing) and then see if the wheel spins smooth and check play. Please don't take to a dealer and have him change the hub assemblies without looking at it!

How many miles are on it? Squeaks mean brakes to me generally...If it gets worse when you turn at slow speed, then you should consider front bearing.

Just my input, i'm sure some people on me can definitely add to this...

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
if it does end up being hub assemblies (bearings) they are easy to change yourself. if you have an early 99 the hubs are unique to that 1/2 year and you can get hubs from a 2000 but you will have to get new 2000 rotors too. the hub of the rotor is a slightly different height. but the 2000/later bearings are a little cheaper and a lot easier to find. this is what i did on my early 99.

fgtex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a good ball-joint write-up with pics. Steps 1-15 show the process through getting the hub/wheel bearing off. Shouldn't take too long at all.

Strokin_Early_99

Diesel Youngin'
Reaction score
I swapped my truck over to late99-03 bearings and rotors. It saved me $200 a side by going this route in lieu of just replacing the early99 bearings. I have part numbers if you would like.

Keep Strokin'

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58