Question Front end clunking/thumping while turning

Teggleston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I did a quick search of earlier post and did not find anything on this but believe it has been discussed before. My 2003 dually 4x4 front axel started making a thumping sound on the driver’s side when I turn. It sounds like it may be the u joint, when I look under the truck I noticed a plastic ring that appears to fit around the axle and in the end of the axle tube just dangling. Any help would be appreciated and does anyone have an exploded sheet on the front axle assembly?

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
did it look like this (see pointing screwdriver)?

my best guess as others will probably say the same would be that your sway bar links/bushings are toast. as was my case....see these photo's. good luck

Teggleston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the piece that your screwdriver is touching is the thing that is just floating around. Sway bar bushing are pretty tight. The clunking is while the truck is in motion and turning.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
exactly....

that is a 'dust shield' as i have been told..i too questioned it as i knew what you were referring to...:D

per the noise, 90% sure it would be the sway bar
10% says could be some type of 4x malfunction - as i had that problem too...because the last time i had used my 4x it never disengaged and i was inadvertently driving around in 4hi...:eek: ford had to replace my hub at that time. simple check on that though...
jack up front tire, rotate tire, does front shaft spin w/ it? if so it is locked in 4x. or at least mine was. if not, then prolly the sway bar links/bushings

as i understand it, when turning, the load is binding up the 'bad' bushings/links and causing a 'pop'.

Last edited:

Teggleston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I wonder how I still put my shirt on the right way! That was it I just went out jacked it up and the axle turned with the wheel so I locked the hub then put it back to auto and it freed itself, again thanks for all the help, sometimes it just takes a smack up the side of the head!!!:smack

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim