front end issues

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
yeah with that clunk u mentioned sounds like a u joint/ driveline issue and maybe power steering causing the hard to steer??

I'm wondering if during the lift, the installer rotated the front axle to correct the driveline angle, and reduced caster, which would lead to high effort and poor returnability...

dieseldork

dieseldork
Reaction score
Did they drop the trac bar? And did they install a drop pitman arm?

localboarding

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
JL- i dont know about that, how would i be able to check? i had the lift put on at a "four wheel parts" shop and the guy that did it worked for ford for 18 years( or so i was told). so i assumed they did everything up to par. is that something that can be addressed easily or am i taking the front end apart, again?

Last edited:

localboarding

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
dieseldork- i guess the truth had to come out sometime--- i dont know crap about trucks, according to them i got everything i needed. i doubt if they installed anything above and beyond the lift, especially since the truck is driving like crap. luckily i found a new guy that i really trust, its actually ATS diesel performance's maintenence shop. i want to be able to suggest some of these things to them just so they know where to start.

localboarding

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
the thing that sucks is i stayed with the four inch lift because i heard that it really didnt lead to any other problems or require any additional work. once again im ignorant, and it seems to have bit me in the ass.

ckamp52

ckamp52
Reaction score
when i used four wheel parts in the past they always did a great job and backed all of their work for a good while...and their really isnt a whole lot to screw up on the solid axle trucks....i'll call a buddy of mine that i help put lifts on and see what he says...he had 24" of lift and no problems he's really good at that stuff and slamming trucks with stock susp and perfect geometry

localboarding

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i just got back from having another guy look at it who actually works on crawlers and he disagrees with using the pro comp lift because the front springs are so stiff. i think im going to try the steering stabilizer and see how that works for now. he also said that everything looks right and that four wheel parts did a proper install. so no bad blood towards them. i have a feeling this is going to take time and money to get right.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
you said it was hard steering and turning at slow speeds...........do you have a hub locked in 4x causing the front to act up....did anyone check that?

i too had (have) the same issue of when pulling ahead and get a thunk!! been told it is the springs, been told it is nothing, and from guys on here and what is my next piece of maintenance is the slip yoke re-greasing...........and or drive shaft as been stated.

good luck and let us know what you hopefully find!

localboarding

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
red 6- not sure if anyone has checked the hubs, i would hope so, ive had two different mechanics pull the front end apart. i looked and they are on auto, though i know that doesnt mean anything. ill have it checked. how would it behave at speed if they were locked? the guy i talked to today said that the noise (thunk) is apparently common with 2004 and earlier and that he has heard alot of people with this issue. i hate these kinds of problems.... no easy solution.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58