front end issues

localboarding

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
so im having the steering stabilizer installed as soon as it comes in. hopefully it helps. decided to go with the dual stabilizer because two is better than one right?

DragonSlayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did anyone check the "u"bolts on the front springs? That may be the clunk.....the axle may be moving in the spring perch.:dunno Check and grease everyhting with zerk fittings....check all bolts for torque and re-torque all the fasteners.:(

localboarding

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
steering stabilizer goes on on monday. hopefully it helps some. dragon slayer- ive had evrything tightened and lubed twice since ive gotten the lift, and just had it all checked again last week. im really keeping my fingers crossed with the steering stabilizer. its fairly cheap and an easy install.............we'll see

localboarding

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
the steering stabilizer helped a little but did not solve the problem. not sure where to go from here.

bmzebrin

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure you steering geometry might be off. when you drop the track bar you should drop the pitman arm from what i understand. With a lift your truck will ride a little stiff but not like crap. You can put a bigger lift with a coilover conversion if you have the money. Chances are it will ride better. Find a good alignment shop and have the truck checked out. As far as the clunck or whatever i have that too but no major problems yet. It only happens when i put it in drive and accelerate right away.

localboarding

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
bmzebrin-- ive heard about dropping the pitman arm before. Havent had it checked though.......... to me it sounds and feels like something is loose or not seated right in the front end. ive had it checked twice by two different people, and everything looks good. based on the last guy that i talked to(who builds crawlers) apparently the 4" Pro Comp lift is not the right lift kit for my f250. the front springs are way too stiff. every bump i hit shakes the wheel back and forth, even the smallest bumps sound like i jumped off a cliff, and the front left wheel(drivers side) sounds like its ready to fall off. IF ANYBODY KNOWS A SUSPENSION EXPERT IN OR NEAR DENVER, CO PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

ghoff

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
What you describe is called bump steer. Since you had a drop trackbar bracket installed, then you will need to install a drop pitman on the steering gear. The goal here is to have the drag link (short shaft from steering gear to the tie rod) and the track bar at roughly the same angle. This will minimize bump steer with a solid axle. If you look under the truck from the front and see the two bars at different angles, there's your problem!

As far as the clunk, check the upper track bar bracket, or steering gear. They might be loose. Also make sure the drop track bar bracket it the right amount of drop for the lift.

Good luck man. Seems like this has been troubling you for a while.

localboarding

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
ghoff-- the pitman has been dropped and runs parallel to the trackbar. the pivot point is off but i dont think that matters. the latest suggestion is to upgrade to a 35 inch 1250 tire and possibly rear shackles. as far as the tires go, they mentioned something about "scrub" and not having enough of it. also heard that the larger tires will help to improve my geometry up front......................

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58