Question Front End Noise

ihatelaramie

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I just replaced both balljoints on my driver's side, as they were severely worn. The upper was so bad that you could wiggle it around with one finger. The other was still very tight, but I figured what the heck, I already got it apart. Also, the new lower has a grease fitting, so that is a plus. Anyway, everything fit together pretty tight, about how it seemed it should. However, I still have a popping noise coming from the left front. Does anyone have any ideas of what this could be caused by?

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I still have a popping noise coming from the left front. Does anyone have any ideas of what this could be caused by?
There is a TSB out on "front-end popping". I think it is 97-3-10. It has to do with loose rivets on the transmission cross member and suspension brackets. Check all the rivets in the suspension mounts where they attach to the frame and the cross members. Drill out any loose rivets and replace with bolts.

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
sorry didnt realise it was 2wd as most members trucks are 4wd.but there was also a tsb on the 2 bolts on top of the fenders where they attach to the cab by the hood hinges being loose and makeing a popping noise.i seem to recall a member here or at another site chased that noise for a long time before he tightened the fender bolts.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a bushing on the radius arm at the frame end that needs to be replaced.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeap, that is probably your noise, it would be the first place to look for sure :sweet

And I forgot to mention:

Do yourself a favor and replace both at the same time and get an alignment once you get them installed.

Yoslick

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
not to steal the thread but mine creaks and goans expecially when taking a turn into a sloped driveway/street, sounds more like body mounts or something???? any ideas??

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14