Front end Prob

happeetxn

9/11 Never Forget
Reaction score
Howdy All,
Last night while I was turning into the parking lot at work I heard a loud metalic pop. The engine idled fine and when I got out there were no fluids leaking or debris field under the truck. When I got back in to go home, the truck had a severe pull to the right and a lot of "clinking and rattling" noise on the driver side front wheel location.
I am just looking for an idea of what to start looking for when I tear into it tomorrow morning. If it was a tie rod end would the truck still be driveable? Thanks in advance for the info I know will be coming.
Craig

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Check out the spring center bolts and the spring ends. I had one (center bolt) break on me and the truck would crab down the road.

Dave

happeetxn

9/11 Never Forget
Reaction score
Dave,
Local auto parts stores haven't heard of this part. Does it have another name? Also I forgot to include this in my initial post all of my ball joints are brand new.
Thanks,
Craig

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
"Spring Center Bolt" it is about 6 inches long and 5/16 or 3/8 inch in diameter. Auto parts won't have it, only a 4X4 shop or a spring shop. You will see the springs moving out of thier postition if it is broken. It is not easy to chonge. I hope it is something else. GOOD LUCK!!

Dave

happeetxn

9/11 Never Forget
Reaction score
Dave,
Appreciate the help, I will look in the morning.
Craig

Zero

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My parts store call them tie bolts. They come in different diameters and lengths. Good luck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl