front end vibration

USMC Pinhead

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all. I'm new to the diesel truck world. Did some tire and suspension upgrades and need some advice. This is my first time in a forum or posting threads so I don't really know what I'm doing...lol. Bought a 2012 F250 Super Duty King Ranch 6.7L. I got professionally installed a 3.5" Ready Lift leveling kit up front and rear blocks with 20" x 9" XD Series Rock Star rims and Mickey Thompson 35" x 12.50" ATZ tires. Brought it to Ford for a front end alignment and wheel balancing. I now have a noticeable front end vibration as I approach 65mph and beyond plus steering wheel play and wandering as I drive. What can I do to get back as close as possible to the factory ride?

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello and Welcome to SSD.com. Post some pictures of your truck when you get the time. I would first look at the wheel balancing and front end alignment. Have you taken it back to the Ford Dealer that did the work on your truck.
They may need to recheck there work.
Doug

USMC Pinhead

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yeah WD40 I just picked it back up today. They balanced the tires again and the vibration seems to have gotten alot better. The re-did the front end alignment but they only work within the factory specs so they told me I would have to go to a shop that specializes in working on vehicles with aftermarket parts since they require different specs. The dealership won't adjust outside the specs called for from the factory. I found an alignment shop down the road from me who said he knows exactly what the issue is an can easily adjust it. He told me the same thing...the dealer won't deviate from factory specs. Thanks for your help. I'll post pics soon as I get a chance. Just waiting on my Iron Cross step sides to arrive.

tankerdude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Semper Fi, jarhead.

Part, if not all, of the cause of your problems is the size of the tires.

Bigger tires and rims are just simply harder to balance. Bigger tires and rims means more weight being thrown around.

If I were you, I'd skip the spin balance and lead weights.

Make sure the tires are mounted on the rims properly.
Make sure the rims aren't out of round, bent, or otherwise jacked up. This, in my opinion, is where a spin balancer machine comes in handy. And you don't even have to turn it on. Most of the balancers have a little "finger" attached to them to use to give your eyeball a stationary reference. With the tire/rim mounted on the balancer and spinning a little, move the "finger" up close to the edge of the rim. You'll be able to see if the rim is wobbling as it rotates.

If all that checks out good, go to a semi parts house (like Truck Pro) or a semi truck dealership that has parts, and buy some Equal balancing media. It's a powder that comes in a little bag. The bags are sized according to the size of the tire they'll be used in. There's a chart included with each case of those bags, and the bags are sold individually. You'll have to break down the tire to get the bag into the tire. Just put the bag in, DO NOT open it first. The rotation of the tires will break the bag open, releasing the powder. The powder is re-usable, so if you have a flat and the tire has to be broken down again, be sure to save the powder and put it back in, otherwise just buy a new bag.

With Equal installed, every time the tire starts to roll, it gets rebalanced as the powder is distributed around the inside of the tire.

I've been using Equal in the tires on my semi for years. Works great, like it allot.

USMC Pinhead

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Semper Fi Brother, thanks for the advice Tanker dude. I appreciate it. I guess I should have listened to my wife (hate to admit it) when she told me to leave it stock. But I'm a damned stubborn Jarhead and just didn't listen...lol. Wow...I've never heard of Equal balancing media...never even heard anybody talk about it. I wonder if they used it in the Motor Transport unit in the Corps? I've lived in Florida for the last 22 years and just moved up to Jersey. I guess I still have Florida in my blood and just have to drive in a taller truck with bigger tires and trims. I'll grow up one day...NOT!!! Thanks again bro. Peace!

USMC Pinhead

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I love what you stand for deerjager. God bless you and the 4th Ammendment...I also hated Obama from Day 1...he will be the death of this country if re-elected...get him out now...one way or the other!!!

USMC Pinhead

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a sign I had made hanging in my house's front and rear windows that simply states, "Home of a U.S. Marine...this is your only WARNING!"...I think it says it all...lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58